If you’ve stumbled across this page, chances are you’re looking to start or have just joined Slimming World. You’ve made a fantastic step in the right direction if you’re looking to lose a little bit of weight or like me, quite a lot.
Whether you join online or go to a group, Slimming World, when followed correctly is life changing. That’s a pretty big statement to make but after losing 5 stone since the beginning of my SW journey, it’s a statement that I’ll stand by.
The basics of SW – edited 2019
The Slimming World Extra Easy plan works on the principles of ‘food optimising’ which in basic terms means combining foods that are good for you, low in fat and full of vitamins and nutrients that will allow you to lose weight steadily.
Each day you can have:
- As much free foods as you like; these free foods include pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meats, most vegetables and fruit. You don’t need to weigh these out just eat enough to fill you up!
- Two portions of Healthy Extra A – dairy (check your new starter books for portion sizes)
- One portion of Healthy Extra B – fibre (check your new starter books for portion sizes)
Try and make sure your plate includes one third speed foods, these are foods that are going to help speed up your weightloss.
- As well as your free/speed foods, hexa and hexb you can have between 5 and 25 syns per day. Check your book for your syn allowance as it is weight dependant. They don’t stretch very far if you pick chocolate or crisps but used wisely, you won’t feel deprived.
Popular SW posts
Some of the most searched for SW posts on my blog include
- My week on the SW Extra Easy SP plan
- The lowdown on the new SW ready meals – great for nights when you don’t want to cook but best used as one offs (not intended to replace the basics of the plan)
- Scan Bran Chocolate Cake recipe
- Diet Coke Chicken a synfree recipe
- Campfire Stew Slow Cooker SW friendly recipe
- SW friendly Crustless Quiche recipe
- Bacon, Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Stew Slow Cooker SW friendly recipe
- Burger in a bowl – a SW take on the popular McDonalds ‘Big Mac’
There’s loads more SW friendly recipes throughout my blog as I’ve blogged them along the way, you can find more here.
I find meal planning really helps me stay on track. Each Monday we plan a weeks worth of meals and then make sure we have the ingredients in to make them. I like to buy recipe books from my SW group so have a good collection on my shelf now which we dig out and flick through every once in a while for ideas and inspiration. There’s also loads of recipes on SW LifelineOnline which if you’re a SW member you’ll have access to.
If you can get to a SW group, I can wholeheartedly recommend it. I’ve made lots of friends in class all going through the same things as me, wanting to lose some weight to boost their confidence and feel good about themselves. I was nominated as our groups Greatest Loser in March 2015 and Miss Slinky in November 2015.
I lost 5 stone between August 2014 and May 2017 with Slimming World and then my prayers were answered, I fell pregnant conceiving our second baby.
Top left, July 2013 (before SW) —–> Bottom right, September 2015 (during SW and 5 stone lighter)
I‘m no expert on SW at all, I’ve been successful in the past and hope to continue to find success in 2019. I post my meals on instagram so do follow along for meal ideas and see how I’m getting on.
You can find me on Twitter if you fancy a chat and I wish you every success with your SW journey! x