After last weeks expected gain on the scales, I knew I wanted to shake things up a bit and had asked in my SW group what people do to get back on track and get the weight shifting again. I had heard about scan bran and the various ways that people use it in their diet so after I had heard a couple of cake recipes I decided to give it a go.
Scan bran is Scandinavian bran crispbread which is made up of unprocessed wheat which helps to keep you feeling fuller for longer. They are an excellent source of fibre and can really help with weightloss. The crispbread can be used in various ways; with low fat cheese, crumbled over yoghurt for breakfast and in lots of baking recipes.
I decided to give it a go and made a chocolate scan bran cake. It’s a really easy recipe and you only need 5 crispbreads (they come in a packet of 10) and those 5 crispbread count as your Healthy Extra B choice. You can buy it in groups at Slimming World and in store at Holland and Barratt.
Chocolate Scan Bran Cake
1 Highlights Hot Chocolate sachet
3 tablespoons of sweetener
2 beaten eggs
– Soak 5 scan bran crispbreads in hot water until they break up easily
– Drain the excess water from the scan bread
– Mix in a mug 2 eggs, the sachet of hot chocolate and sweetener
– Add the egg mixture to the scan bran and give it a good stir mixing it all together
– Pop the mixture in a microwavable dish and cook on full power for 5 minutes
– After cooking leave to cool for 5 minutes and then pop the cake out onto a cooling rack to finish cooling.
– The scan bran cake is ideally eaten in one day (it uses up your healthy extra b allowance plus 2 syns) I have had mine with yoghurt and fruit for breakfast and later as a snack drizzled with choc shot for additional syns.
– As with all added fibre, make sure you drink plenty of water as this will aid the transition of the fibre through the gut and will obviously keep you regular without bunging you up!
I made the scan bran cake twice last week and quite enjoyed it. It’s not like normal cake, there’s no denying that but it’s not a bad alternative.
On the scales this week I was amazed to see that I had lost 4.5lb, wow-wee! I had a good week making wise choices (minus the Happy Meal from McDonalds on Friday lunchtime) I stayed within my syns allowance and drank more than 2 litres of water every day. I fill up my 2 litre water bottle at work and drink the lot before leaving work. I get added exercise too as the toilets at work are downstairs so I get some body magic in as well.
What are your favourite scan bran recipes? Would love to hear from you. If you try scan bran this week let me know how you get on.