The new Slimming World ready meals lowdown

Updated October 2015

As a dedicated follower of the Slimming World way of life, I was delighted to hear about the new range of Slimming World ready meals that were hitting Iceland stores for Autumn Winter 2015. I have already tried most of the existing range so was keen to see what was in the new range and how they tasted.

As I try them out over the next few weeks, I’ll update this page (as per meals below) to give you my honest feedback and let you know what I thought.

What’s new for autumn / winter 2015?

There’s 7 new ready meals including

• Bolognese Ragu
  • Chicken Saag
  • Chicken & Mediterranean Vegetable Pasta
  • Beef & Three-Bean Chilli Con Carne
  • Beef Chana Saag
  • Cottage Pie
  • Three Bean and Roasted Veg Chilli

As with the previous Slimming World ready meals all of them are very generous portion sizes which is great value for money and helps members stay on the Food Optimising plan.

As well as ready meals, Slimming World have introduced four new soups, all in 500g portions. These include

• Pea and Mint Soup
  • Carrot and Coriander Soup
  • Tomato and Basil Soup
  • Spicy Lentil Soup

To broaden the range, there’s also the addition of two new cooking sauces

• Spicy Tikka Masala Sauce
  • Chunky Tomato Sauce

These new sauces are set to be a great base for all the meals that lots of Slimming Worlders love to cook up whether it’s with meat, pasta or vegetables, I’m really looking forward to trying them out.

Tomato and Basil Soup

I’ve tried the Tomato and Basil Soup for lunch today and it was really nice. At first I was worried that the consistency would be quite runny but as soon as I heated it through it was a nice blend of tomatoes and spices.

Slimming World Soup

I’ll definitely be buying this again and taking it to work for my lunch as it was really tasty and very filling.

Price

The Tomato and Basil Soup was priced at £1.50 from Iceland and is very good value for money.

Pea and Mint Soup

Slimming World Pea and Mint Soup

When I first heard about this flavour soup, I wasn’t sure if I would like it. I like peas and I like mint but not together. Oh I was wrong, it’s beautiful. Neither of the flavours are overpowering, they’re just really nice and the consistency of the soup is perfect along with the addition of whole peas in there too. I’ll definitely be buying this soup again as it was really nice and I really enjoyed it.

Price

The Pea and Mint soup was priced at £1.50 from Iceland.

I’ll be updating this page over the next few weeks to give you more insight into what I thought about the meals.

————————————————————————————————-

As of today, Wednesday 18th February, fellow Slimming World members around the UK can get their hands on synfree Slimming World ready meals from stores of Iceland. Apparently it’s been a long time coming with lots of planning and thought gone into the making of the meals. We have heard in group over the last few months that these meals were coming and how tasty they were so it wasn’t a surprise to find out how popular they are with some of the products already selling out within a few hours in store. I wanted to find out for myself what all the fuss was about so I headed on down to my local Iceland store to take a look at the meals and pick up one or two to try out.

SW header

What choice of ready meals are there?

There’s a good range of 8 ready meals and bags of frozen synfree pork sausages and synfree beef and pork meatballs. The ready meal range includes the following dishes

– Beef in Red Onion Gravy and Veg Crush
– Singapore Noodles
– Chicken Pizzaiola
– Sweet Potato Curry
– Chicken Tikka Masala
– Meatballs and Pasta in tomato sauce
– Hot-smoked Salmon farfalle
– Roasted Vegetable Pasta

All ready meals are synfree so can be enjoyed without worrying about the syn values. The meals are quite large so would be perfect for lunch or dinner but as it’s been stressed by our consultant they must be enjoyed with speed and free foods to make them into a healthy well balanced meal.

It’s also been advised by Slimming World that these meals aren’t for everyday use. They’re a low fat, quick and worry free option when you’re in late from work or when time is against you and you need a hearty meal that’s in line with the Slimming World plan. They’re not meant to be eaten everyday as this goes against the principles of Slimming World that foods are cooked from scratch using fresh or frozen ingredients. They’re there to help busy lives stay on plan and resist the high fat, high carb take away options that people often turn to instead.

In the name of research, I bought a couple of ready meals and some packets of the syn free sausages. Slimming World members would have been given some vouchers to spend in store which get you 2 products for £5 instead of £3 each so speak to your consultant if you haven’t had a voucher.

Price

For the price, I think you get value for money. It would cost you more than £3 to buy in the meat and ingredients to make the meal so I think the price is about right. Again, you wouldn’t buy these to eat everyday in the same way you wouldn’t buy a takeaway everyday, think about how much a takeaway would cost you? More than £3 I’m guessing!

I bought the Meatballs and Pasta in a tomato sauce and Chicken Tikka Masala ready meals and decided to have one for lunch today to see how it tasted.

meals

Meatballs and Pasta in a spicy tomato sauce

The frozen meal looks nice, the meatballs are a great size and the portion size looks very generous. I popped it in the microwave as per the directions on the packaging and waited for it to ping.

meatballs

slimming world ready meals

Whats the verdict?

I really enjoyed it. I served the ready meal with a side salad and really enjoyed it. It’s a fantastic size portion, ideal for filling you up to stop you picking after the meal and it did just that. I am stuffed.

The meatballs were tasty and the spicy sauce was just right, not too spicy but with a definite kick. I would definitely be buying these again.

Chicken Tikka Masala

IMG_6034

I had the Chicken Tikka Masala on Saturday evening served on a bed of mixed vegetables as I didn’t fancy rice. It was a good sized portion with plenty of chicken meat in it.

The sauce was the right thickness for me, I would recommend stirring the sauce half way through cooking and leave it a minute after cooking to thicken up.

I really enjoyed the taste of the curry. It had a definite kick to it and I liked the blend of spices that have been used in the meal. Another synfree winner for me!

Slimming World Synfree Sausages

Synfree sausages

Yes, you heard me correctly, synfree sausages!

I haven’t had proper sausages in a long time as I had tried the healthier low fat supermarket versions and I just didn’t like them so I was intrigued to find out how these sausages would taste.

I had mine grilled (under a medium heat for 20 minutes, turning frequently) and served them with an onion gravy (recipe in the new Food Glorious Food book) mash and vegetables.

I thought they were nice. They tasty quite meaty and not at all grainy like other low fat sausages have been. The meat was quite smooth so perhaps a little too processed but for no syns, I’d be happy to have them again.

Roasted Vegetable Pasta

SW roasted vegetable pasta

I had this meal as I was cooking for one (my husband was eating out) and found it quite tasty but I’m not sure I would buy it again. It lacked something to me and I would probably enjoy it more if it had some sort of meat in it. I had my Roasted Vegetable Pasta with babycorn, mangetout and mushrooms. The pasta was cooked nicely and the meal was huge so I only plated up three quarters of it to have for my dinner. You could easily share it with someone for dinner.

Beef in Red Onion Gravy with Veg Crush

beef and veg crush

I had this meal as my Sunday dinner when my hubby was out at the football. It smelt really nice and I was pleased with how much meat and gravy you get in the meal. The beef was lovely. Not chewy or hard, it was really nice and I like it. The vegetable crush wasn’t really to my taste although I do like mashed carrot and swede. This wasn’t as full of flavour and I was quite disappointed. If I had it again, I would be having it just for the meat and gravy.

—————————————————–

If you’ve enjoyed one of the new Slimming World ready meals, what are your thoughts? Have you enjoyed them? What’s your favourite meal? Would love to hear from you.

Disclaimer: This is not in anyway in association with Slimming World. I am hugely excited about the new products as I am sure they will help lots of people stay on plan and lose weight. To date, I have lost 4 stone 11.5lb with Slimming World since August 2014 so I am delighted! Follow my journey over on Instagram or sign up to follow me by email in the sidebar, thanks! x

• Reply Leanne Lunn

It’s great to read this as my nearest Iceland is not particularly close, I wanted to hear peoples reviews before I go stock up for emergencies. Thanks.

18/02/2015 at 4:20 pm
    • Reply Mary Blake

I have tried several of the meals but find them all too peppery and spicy. Even cottage pie and braised steak. Sorry.

07/01/2017 at 5:43 pm
      • Reply Tanya

I totally agree all meals are far too peppery. I can’t eat anything spicy as it makes my lips and tongue swell. Thought I would be ok with non spicy slimming world meals but all so peppery. If we want pepper we would add it ourselves.

11/03/2017 at 2:34 pm
        • Reply Emma

Have you let Slimming World know you don’t like them? I know they welcome feedback.

11/03/2017 at 5:18 pm
  • Reply Donna

Oh wow! It’s about time SW made their own range of products available in stores. Great idea. We don’t often shop in Iceland but I’ll keep an eye out for them x

18/02/2015 at 10:30 pm
  • Reply Sarah @tamingtwins

Ooh, I wonder how the sausages are? When I did SW I once bought in bulk those Joe’s sausages. They were fab but very expensive. Hope they are good.. You are such an inspiration! xx

19/02/2015 at 9:57 am
  • Reply Diana

I have tried the beef on red onion suace and the chicke pizzaiola – bith really tasty and filling – only criticism is sauce is a little thin. would definately have them again. Planning to try the entire range over the next couple of weeks then choose my favourites as ‘standby’ meals

20/02/2015 at 9:06 am
  • Reply Sandra

I just tried these for the first time today and was looking for somewhere to leave feedback on it. I had the Beef in red onion gravy with carrot and swede crush, I added green beans with it. The portion size was very good and it was tasty, the beef was very tender,, but I feel for my palate there was a bit too much balsamic vinegar in the gravy, it was a bit over powering and I don’t feel it complimented the carrot and swede crush because of this. But overall I really enjoyed it and would probably buy it again. I’m looking forward to trying the others

20/02/2015 at 6:28 pm
    • Reply Nad

I have had 4 of the Iceland meals to date. Bought different ones to try them out.
      Firstly I tred the Hot-Smoked Salmon Farfalle. Verdict – huge portion (u certainly get value for money!) but it was a little toooo fishy for me, altho I love all forms of salmon, normally.
      Next I tried the Singapore Noodles. Verdict – once again, great size, but sadly again, over the top with the ginger, that was the overwhelming
      taste.
      Thirdly, the sausages. Delicious, although once again, over flavoured with sage.
      Lastly I tried the Chicken Tikka Masalla. Another giant portion and absolutely delicious. As the other 3 dishes I tried were too over seasoned for my palate, I expected the same with this dish, but no, it was perfect.
      Overall, I wld def recommend the S/W dishes, tho I probably won’t buy the Salmon pasta or Singapore Noodles. As I said, not quite to my palate. Can’t wait to try the meatballs and other dishes when my Iceland eventually restocks :0) xx

21/03/2015 at 12:53 am
      • Reply Annette Knight

I tried the Singapore Noodles found this to be very filling and I did enjoy it but I found it rather spicey and hot! but would definitely buy this again. I think these meals are a great for when you are on your own or need to do something quicky.

02/05/2015 at 8:10 pm
    • Reply Kate

I agree that the balsamic vinegar spoilt it. I wouldn’t buy it again.

17/02/2016 at 6:48 pm
  • Reply Mich

Had the Singapore Noodles. I was really excited to try them but was left really disappointed. Maybe the others sill be better?

22/02/2015 at 12:06 am
    • Reply Kate

I really like the Singapore Noodles and have bought a few over time.

17/02/2016 at 6:49 pm
  • Reply Linda Keightley

Just eating the potato curry. Tongue tingling and I see from the recipe on the box if you want to make your own with 4 servings, it takes 6 garlic cloves! My verdict: it’s fine as a stand by meal to stop you synning too much if you’ve nothing planned, but wouldn’t have it instead of a home cooked meal. I’m a veggie, so will be trying the pasta one next.

23/02/2015 at 6:18 pm
  • Reply Geoffrey brunt

Do any of these meals contain sweeteners

23/02/2015 at 9:08 pm
    • Reply Emma Shilton

I don’t have the packaging anymore Geoffrey but let me find out and I’ll reply back to you.

23/02/2015 at 9:15 pm
  • Reply Hannah

I spent my voucher yesterday and it’s a bit cheeky. It’s not for every 2 meals you but you get them for £5″ it’s the first two meals are £5 after that they are all normal price. I still have 3 vouchers but I’m not sure if it’s worth it now. Going to try my meals though. I got sausages and meatballs along with chicken pizzaola and meatballs and pasta. They do look nice though so hopefully they are worth the money. £3 for 6 syn free sausages is a win syn wise but a stab in the pocket given how much cheaper synful sausages are.

24/02/2015 at 12:50 am
    • Reply Emma Shilton

I was able to buy 4 SW products for £10 using the vouchers. I quite like the sausages and will have them again. I haven’t had sausages in such a long time to save syns so I think these are a welcome addition to the freezer.

24/02/2015 at 8:20 am
      • Reply Jordan

Can I ask where you found the 2 meals for £5 vouchers please?

06/03/2015 at 9:17 pm
    • Reply Ruby

It’s 2 for £5 for each voucher you have – if you only had one voucher, then you’ll only get 2 for £5. They’re going to be generally 2 for £5 for a few weeks from 17th March, without the need for a voucher.

10/03/2015 at 1:17 pm
  • Reply Melanie R

These new meals are a godsend for people like myself who work different shifts. The first one I tried was the hot smoked salmon pasta and I personally didn’t like it all that much. A generous portions size and a surprising amount of salmon, about as much as I would have used if I’d made it, the downside was the sauce, it was too thin for me and I didn’t like the taste of it very much. Then I tried the chicken tikka masala, as someone who loves Indians and to find a syn free curry that tastes this good is wonderful. Lovely taste, right consistency and a huge portion. I also have the meatballs in the freezer but I’ve not tried them yet, I am looking forward to them though.

28/02/2015 at 4:35 pm
    • Reply Emma Shilton

I agree that these are great for people who don’t have much time. Good feedback on the salmon dish, as that’s one dish I won’t eat as I don’t like fish. Thanks for your comment xx

01/03/2015 at 12:26 pm
  • Reply JillyT

Tried the singapore noodles but not that impressed tbh but i did make the recipe on the back of the pack and it was lovely. Added extra mushrooms and courgettes

24/03/2015 at 5:59 pm
  • Reply Linda D

I’ve tried a few of the meals. Some good, some not so.
    Chicken Tikka Masala is lush although I was surprised at how spicy it was as this is usually a sweetish dish. I’ve live abroad and eaten chillies on a daily basis but this was too much spicy for most English palates.
    Sweet potato curry had the same flavour as the Masala, consistency not to my taste as once cooked was like a plate of mush.
    Singapore Noodles tasted of curry. Once again a similar taste.
    Beef in Red Onion Gravy was lovely but I agree, the veg mash wasn’t all that.
    Sausages were anything but. If you think you’re getting a juicy sausage for free, think again. They say there’s no such thing as a free lunch. Well this applies to sausages too. No they weren’t grainy and had the flavour of sausages but they were dry as old boots. Even the dog turned it’s nose up at them. Into the bin.

21/04/2015 at 5:57 pm
    • Reply Kate

I don’t normally order chicken tika massala in a restaurant as I don’t consider it to be an authentic Indian dish, but I like the Slim World one.
      It is creamy and got quite a kick.
      I’d buy it as a backup when I fancy a ‘curry!’

17/02/2016 at 6:59 pm
  • Reply Clare Collins

I know it’s SW so as such calories are not really counted. I just wondered whether calories and nutritional information was included on the packaging

22/04/2015 at 11:06 am
  • Reply Chelsee McKinlay

All nutritional information is on the packaging, it works out around just under 400 calories for the frozen meals. Iv tried the medetaranian pasta such a huge filling portion! And the chicken tikka was nice too!

24/04/2015 at 9:41 pm
  • Reply Hannah

I regularly eat the Chicken Pizzaola now but the meatballs are fractionally too spicy for me, the amount of sour cream or light mayo I have to chuck on it to get rid of the spiciness makes it full of syns instead of it being syn free which sort of defeats the point. I keep threatening to write to SW/Iceland and ask them to change the recipe but it’s possible that I’m one of the few people who feel this way lol.

13/10/2015 at 10:52 pm
    • Reply Ann

I find the majority of SW meals very over-spiced, peppery and practically inedible. I am going to write to SW and let them know my thoughts, but I’m not sure it would do any good. I was beginning to think I was the only one to think this way. It was refreshing to read your comments.

13/01/2016 at 8:51 pm
  • Reply Stacey

I really enjoyed the mint and pea soup i would like to take it to work for my lunch but it only says cook from frozen do you think you could cook it when its defrosted as i dont have a freezer at work
    . Tia x

19/10/2015 at 6:24 pm
    • Reply Emma Shilton

Hello Stacey,
      Yes I’ve had mine defrosted in the fridge and then warmed it up so it was piping hot. It was absolutely fine :)

19/10/2015 at 8:02 pm
      • Reply helen

how long can they be defrosted for in the fridge?

17/05/2017 at 1:52 pm
  • Reply Vera Cox

Although the Slimming World Ready Meals are handy, the convenience is totally ruined for me as I find them far, far too spicy and much too heavily seasoned. Please, please, please leave some of the spices/seasoning out !!!

30/01/2016 at 5:57 pm
    • Reply Emma Shilton

That’s a shame Vera, I have really enjoyed them but we like spices and herbs a lot in our house

31/01/2016 at 2:32 pm
    • Reply Ruby

I completely agree- the only things I can eat are the burgers and sausages, but i find those bland- the others are far too spicey- they need to work on getting it just right for those of us not into spice! I make plenty of tasty SW meals that aren’t spicey and freeze leftovers, it’s not difficult, so I do wonder why they’re not managing to do the same.

01/02/2016 at 8:38 am
  • Reply Angela A

My definate favourite is the Chicken Saag. Have it with boiled rice it’s delicious.

06/04/2016 at 6:55 pm
  • Reply Jen

Do you know if any of the meals are okay when you are doing SP

18/04/2016 at 4:03 pm
    • Reply Emma

Hello Jen, I would just check the ingredients in the meals against the list in the SW book. Check the symbols S and P to make sure they’re speed foods

18/04/2016 at 8:15 pm
  • Reply Mary Blake

I’ve already left a previous comment that the several meals I tried were all to heavily spiced. Not everyone is into that. I today bought 2 different meals, once again tooooooooo!!!!l spicey almost takes away flavour of the meal. I won’t be buying anymore and wouldn’t recommend them. SHAME.

08/02/2017 at 6:31 pm
    • Reply Emma

Hello Mary, it’s a shame you feel that way but I do enjoy some of them and would buy certain ones again. Thanks for commenting

08/02/2017 at 9:28 pm

I'd love to hear from you