Making the most of maternity leave..

I’ve been on maternity leave from my full time job in Human Resources since mid January and I had to wait a good month before my Little Mr made his appearance.

Before I went on leave, lots of people were asking me what I was planning on doing whilst I was on leave and towards the end of my pregnancy, I was more than happy to put my feet up, plough through DVD box sets and nap through the day to catch up on sleep given to pregnancy insomnia the previous night.

I had grand ideas of being able to do loads of things on maternity leave once my Son had arrived but whilst I am doing lots of exciting things they aren’t necessarily what I had imagined.

mat leave 24.5.13
I very naively thought I would be able to bake lots of lovely bread and possibly cakes, make lots of lovely new meals for dinner, get the sewing machine out and improve on my skills and might even be able to sell a few bits, along with the housework and look after my Son. How wrong was I?

As a new mum to be, I didn’t realise how important maternity leave would be as time for just me and my baby to bond. I’m very aware of how short my planned maternity leave will be as unfortunately, I need to return to work after 8 months for financial reasons and it really is heart wrenching. In an ideal world, I would absolutely love to stay at home with Little Mr and watch him grow and develop. It’s only been 14 weeks and I’ve seen him change so much already. I’m already dreading my return to work. It’s not that I don’t want to go back, I love my job but I just want to be with my Son. Isn’t that just a natural thing as a new Mum?

So whilst other ‘wonder mums’ who appear to be able to do it all on their maternity leave, I’ll be spending time giving my son endless cuddles, watching him sleep, taking him out in the pushchair, playing with him and his toys and we might even go to a baby class or two. I don’t want to regret not doing anything with him because I was too worried about making the most of my maternity leave. This is the time I’m never going to get back and I want to make sure I make the most of every opportunity to spend it with him.

• Reply Rochelle Veturis Coles

You’re lucky, I get 12 weeks for maternity leave after baby’s born. We’ll see how it works out; I can’t imagine leaving my 13-week-old behind, to return to work full time. Enjoy every minute, and don’t worry about the future. Today holds enough worries on its own. Kisses to the little man for me :)

24/05/2013 at 5:00 pm
    • Reply mrsshilts

Hi Rochelle, thanks for stopping by and your comment. 12 weeks, wow I definitely couldn’t have done that! I will most definitely be enjoying every minute with him, life is too precious not too

24/05/2013 at 10:32 pm
  • Reply Peggy

Maternity leave is such an important and amazing time to share with your baby. In France where I am from they return to work when the baby is just 10 weeks old. I remember feeling like I was so lucky to be here because I wouldn’t have wanted to leave my baby at just over 2months old. Then when he turned 7 months old I went back part time and we were both ready for it. I did enjoy it. I far prefer working from home now but it wasn’t too bad to go back and have colleagues. You are very right to make the most of every minute with your baby, it goes very quickly! (Found you at byoh)

24/05/2013 at 7:53 pm
    • Reply mrsshilts

Hi Peggy, thank you for stopping by and commenting. 10 weeks old is crazy, I think I was still a hormonal wreck back then! I probably will be ready to return to work in a few months time but I really wish we could afford for me to work part time… I’ll keep playing the lotto x

24/05/2013 at 10:33 pm
  • Reply Lotte

I went on maternity leave & never returned to work HAHA
    Great post hunny! I couldn’t bare leaving my baby. Just hope this business that is due to launch in the coming month is a hit so I can watch my little man grow.

Lotte xo
    BericeBaby – Parenting & Lifestyle Blog

26/05/2013 at 9:14 am
    • Reply mrsshilts

I’d love to stay at home, I know that probably after another couple of months I’ll want to do something but I’d love to just do something part time to pay my bills. All the best with your new business x

26/05/2013 at 8:01 pm
  • Reply Mothergeek

Sounds like you’re spending your time doing exactly what maternity leave is all about! The point is to bond with your baby, not become bree van de kamp lol. Enjoy your remaining time xx

28/05/2013 at 9:56 am
  • Reply Laura Huggins

I was planning on going back to work after maternity, but got made redundant so didn’t have a job to go back to. Worked out perfect for me as I got to be a SAHM.

Thank you for linking up with The Weekend Blog Hop

Hope to see you again on Saturday

Laura x x x

29/05/2013 at 11:07 pm
  • Reply Louise x

With my daughter I had to go back to work after 4 months even though I didn’t want to. I missed out on lots of milestones. I had my little boy a month ago and my other half wants me to return to work in January but I’m determined to somehow find a way to work from home. I really don’t want to miss out twice.

Enjoy every minute with your baby as it’s true what they say: they grow up too fast!

Now following your fab blog via Bloglovin’

Louise x

Confessions of a Secret Shopper

03/06/2013 at 8:20 am
  • I'd love to hear from you!