Follow:

Making decisions for his safe arrival

Earlier last week, I had my 34 week scan and review with my consultant. Throughout the third trimester of my pregnancy, I’ve been having ultrasound scans to check baby boys growth every two weeks. Initially it was due to his low weight (he was measuring on the 10th centile) but then it was discovered that the amniotic fluid surrounding baby boy was on the high side (90th centile) and I was diagnosed with polyhydramnios.

During the scan this week, baby boy has grown and is now an estimated 5lb 15oz which is brilliant for 34 weeks. He’s also managed to turn himself around and is no longer breech. Unfortunately my waters are still on the high side and have increased again. I’ve been reassured that they’re not dangerously high but are on the high side and enough to be concerned about.

34w+4 pregnant 2017 making decisions safe arrival

Baby boy looking straight at us // December 2017 // 34+4

With this in mind my consultant has been discussing my birthing options with me for a few weeks now. One option is to birth naturally (VBAC) or my other option is to have an elective caesarean section. The trouble with having increased waters is that although baby boy appears to be head down at the moment, as there’s plenty of room in there for him to move around, he can literally spin around without much trouble. As with all births, there are risks involved and what I’ve heard from my consultant is that there are increased risks with me attempting a natural delivery. I’m at risk of my previous section scar rupturing, his limbs could present first or he could be breech and the cord could fall down around baby’s neck. All risks of which I’m not wishing to take.

I am literally terrified that something is going to go wrong and I’ve been feeling really anxious about it all. I’ve discussed my birth options with my husband and he’s being very supportive insisting it’s my choice.  He’ll support me in whatever decision I make and I know that can be said for the rest of my immediate family too!

It’s not a decision I’ve made lightly but ultimately, I need to ensure the safe arrival of baby boy and myself. I’m already a mum of one and cannot risk anything happening to me. With all the risks explained and having had time to think about my options, I’ve decided to opt for an elective caesarean section which will be done in the week prior to my due date. I feel more comfortable knowing that there’s a plan in place for his birth and I left my appointment on Wednesday with a date when baby boy will be born. I’m mindful that if baby boy decided to come naturally, that I would probably be rushed in for a section but I’m hopeful that he won’t arrive early and will stay put.

Now the decision has been made that he’ll be born via an elective caesarean, we need to keep an eye on my waters and if they’ve increased again at my next growth scan, there could be a possibility of bringing forward the original section date. I’m at risk of pre-term labour with the polydramnios (as the waters are literally stretching my uterus and stomach) and with only 5 weeks to go, we could have an early Christmas present! I’ve packed my hospital bags just in case and will be trying to take it as easy as I can over the next few weeks.

I’m trying to remain as calm as I can, the thought of major surgery is a little terrifying but I know I will be in good hands. I appreciate an elective caesarean isn’t an easy option, it’s a major operation and the recovery period afterwards will be tough but I need to ensure both of us are safe and we make it home to start family life as a four. Send positive vibes friends!

~oOo~

Share:
Previous Post Next Post

7 Comments

  • Reply Beth @ Twinderelmo

    I had an emergency section with Charlie and then an elective section with the girls. Both were really positive experiences. I loved the fact I was so organised for my elective section and knew exactly what day and time I’d have them. I was up and about the next day and both I and all three were healthy and happy xxx

    09/12/2017 at 8:27 pm
  • Reply Kim Carberry

    Ahh! You have to do what is best for you and the baby….It sounds like an elective section is the right choice.
    Eek! I can’t believe you only have a few weeks left…It doesn’t seem like two minutes since you announced your pregnancy! Good luck xx

    09/12/2017 at 9:04 pm
  • Reply Lei Hallows

    Hi Honey, I had a medically advised planned section with my last baby. He’s 2 now and a ball of chaos but that’s another story. I was able to have as close to a natural birth as possible, with my own cd of music playing, delayed cord clamping and immediate skin to skin. Talk to your surgeon about your options, it doesn’t have to be completely clinical x

    09/12/2017 at 10:23 pm
  • Reply Jenny Ripatti-Taylor (@letstalkmommy)

    Oh babes it’s hard to have to make such big decisions but always follow your gut and heart and do what you think is best not anyone else which you have done. He will be in great hands both in care and with you and your beautiful supportive family. Better to be safe and healthy together. So scary to hear those things though at first I bet and wrap your head around it. I am wishing baby to stay put for you. Thanks for linking up to Bumps and Babies. I appreciate your support.

    15/12/2017 at 1:06 pm
  • Reply Lisa

    Not long to go now then. I’m trying not to think about the birth at the moment as it fills me with dread. I’ve just had my glucose tolerance test and waiting the results. I was induced because of this last time and had the longest labour and not a great experience all round. There was a chance that I may have needed a caesarean due to her being breech but didn’t need this in the end. We had decided to ignore medical advice and opt to go into labour naturally this time, but I think the guilt of anything happening will make the decision for me. I’m trying to stay positive – as long as the baby arrives safely then it’s a job well done. Good luck x

    15/12/2017 at 2:32 pm
  • Reply Laura

    Just wanted to say that I had polyhydramnios with my 3rd, my 2nd vbac. If Baby makes an earlier than planned arrival don’t panic, my waters didn’t break until 3 mins before baby arrived and baby remained in a good position. I hope it all works out for you but just wanted to reassure you that if labour starts early Baby and you will be absolutely fine I’m sure! Good luck!!

    16/12/2017 at 6:56 pm
  • Reply Kimberley | Oh Just My Little Blog

    I’m sorry to hear you’ve had such a tough decision to make but I’m glad it feels better now you’ve decided. How exciting to have a date to be counting down until. I hope the scans are reassuring between now and then x #Bumps&Babies

    17/12/2017 at 10:25 am
  • I'd love to hear from you

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    %d bloggers like this: