Falling back in love with our home // Living Room redecoration

At the end of last year, Shilts and I were indecisive about our staying in our home. We really like our terraced house, it feels part of us now and we have so many memories here but it’s tired and we’ve fallen a little bit out of love with it. It has it’s issues; only two bedrooms, no off road parking and a tiny backyard and we could definitely use more space. Financially however, we’re not in a position to move house, we don’t have any where near the amount of savings that could be used as a deposit and then there’s the negative equity issue. So we have decided to stay, redecorate and fall back in love with our home.

One of the main rooms that desperately needed redecorating was our living room. Over the years, the room at the front of our house has been used as a study, a craft room, a dining room and a living room. We finally settled on keeping it as a living room a couple of years before Olly came along and it now serves as our family room for watching the television, relaxing and entertaining in.

But it was so, so tired. The last time we painted the walls was at least 8 years ago so it was definitely in need of some TLC. I found some wallpaper that I fell in love with on another bloggers website and had to buy it. I bought three rolls of it and kept it safe under the stairs just in case it sold out or was discontinued when we finally got round to redecorating.

Living room

Ignore the tv screen..kids!!

We saved up some money to hire a decorator to come in and do the work for us. As much as I would love to learn how to hang wallpaper I don’t have the time or the inclination (if I’m really honest) and couldn’t face the agony of seeing my hard working husband beat himself up over DIY that he hates doing during our weekends. We also needed a few carpentry jobs doing so we got some quotes and booked a chap that could do it for us.

Shiltons frame living room redecoration

Finally after what seems like forever, we are nearly there. We have my beautiful wallpaper, from Next on the chimney breast and gorgeous grey walls (in Valspar Hinkypunk) We have had the fire surrounded painted in eggshell and the gas meter boxed in and the ugly electric trunking boxed in too. We’ve had floating shelves put up in the alcoves (which nearly didn’t survive!) and an entertainment unit built to house the TV, Playstation and other media boxes we seem to accumulate.

living room redecoration

We have also had blinds put up at the windows which have come from Blinds2Go. They’re white wooden-style (not wooden) and I absolutely love them. We have three up at our large bay window and I am so impressed with them. Another blog post to follow with more detail on the beautiful blinds.

Blinds2Go blinds

I bought a gorgeous new table lamp from Maison du Monde and saved a bit of cash on replacing the shade on the floor lamp with one from Dunelm. I waited for the pendant to come back into stock as it was so popular, it’s been unavailable for a few weeks. But I am so pleased with how it looks in the room.

Pendant lamp Dunelm

I’m in the process of replacing all our frames with grey and white ones and have bought some decorative pieces from Sainsbury’s and Next.

living room redecoration

I’m so happy with how it’s coming together. We finally need a new carpet (brown isn’t going to cut it in there now) and we want to replace the gas fire as it doesn’t work currently. We want a silver or chrome gas fire that works so it’ll be nice and cosy in the winter. We’ve deliberately left the most expensive but liveable bits until last so hopefully we can get those replaced in the next couple of months.

Sofa Light Walls

The only problem with DIY is when you start one room, the rest of the house looks a bit shabby (and not in a shabby chic way!) next project will be the hallway, stairs and landing but there’s hideous wood chip up there so it might take a while!

I hope you love our living room as much as we do!

Home Etc

• Reply Donna

Oh my gosh Emma. It is gorgeous! What a beautiful room! x

10/05/2017 at 8:22 am
  • Reply Plutonium Sox

Oh it looks lovely Emma. I do agree though, once you get one room looking good it makes you feel like the rest of the house needs doing haha!
    Nat.x

10/05/2017 at 1:49 pm
  • Reply Louisa

You living room looks great. I like the shelving around the chimney breast. I wish we had done that. It can be easy to full out of love with your home. I’d much rather move than redecorate but aren’t in the position to do that now! Good luck removing the woodchip, you’ll probably need a blow torch! :-) #homeetc

10/05/2017 at 2:45 pm
  • Reply Jane Taylor Maflingo.com

Emma, what a wonderful room. I love everything about it, the colour scheme, accessories, floating shelves. It’s just my sort of thing. I really love the wallpaper, too…I think I remember reading a blog with that wallpaper and can’t remember whose it was. It’s so fresh and the grey really compliments it. I’m with you, I wallpapered one feature wall once…NEVER AGAIN!

We have deep white wooden/wood effect blinds like yours in a couple of our upstairs bedrooms, too, and they really add a touch of class to a room. I love it when the light filters through on a sunny day.

Just perfect. :)

#HOMEETC

10/05/2017 at 6:48 pm
  • Reply Tracey Williams

Ah I love it Emma and no wonder you are pleased with it. We redid our lounge 3 years ago and it was the best thing we ever did. Looks gorgeous and I bet you just love sitting in it x

10/05/2017 at 8:52 pm
  • Reply Colette

It’s looking gorgeous Emma! Our living room is on the list for this year – it was decorated about six years ago and is looking worse for wear. I can’t wait to get it sorted now!

10/05/2017 at 8:52 pm
  • Reply Kara

I love it. I am very jealous of how light the room is. I love how you have tied it altogher. It’s fresh and pretty.
    Valspar paint is so good. I use it for my upcycles. Enjoy your room xx

10/05/2017 at 10:21 pm
  • Reply Lizzie Woodman

I love the wallpaper and the wall colour is lovely! #HomeEtc

11/05/2017 at 10:31 am
  • Reply Caro | The Twinkle Diaries

It looks fabulous Emma!!! I know what you mean about falling out of love with your home… I go through stages of that with ours. My main bug-bear is our kitchen — I loath and detest it. It’s so poorly designed — the flooring is peeling up and the worktop is stained and old. We inherited it with the house and always said we’d update it when we had the money. 6 years on and it’s still the same — only MORE shabby!! Love what you’ve done with your sitting room! Gorgeous colours :) Caro xx #HomeEtc

12/05/2017 at 11:46 am
  • Reply Confessions of a New Mummy

It looks gorgeous, so light and bright. I love the wallpaper and paint colour, everything comes together beautifully xx

15/05/2017 at 1:21 pm
  • Reply Laura Polito

Lovely post but could you possibly put a link to Blinds 2 Go on this post and any future posts you write about your new blinds. We would really appreciate it! Thank you.

15/05/2017 at 5:34 pm
  • Reply Kerry

Yep me too! I have fallen out of love with our home too. I would love to move, but in reality I know that we need to have a bit more money behind us before we’ll be able to move somewhere I want to. For the meantime, we need to do more work to our home. You have chosen a lovely colour scheme and everything looks very well coordinated xx

15/05/2017 at 6:35 pm
  • Reply Lins @ Boo & Maddie

It looks just beautiful and I’m totally with you on what a transformation can happen just by some relatively straightforward and inexpensive steps. The colour scheme is gorgeous X #HomeEtc

15/05/2017 at 10:10 pm