Is there ever a right time? | Trying for a second baby

I count my blessings every day that I am a Mama to one adorable curly haired toddler. There was a time when I didn’t think it would be possible to have my own children and I do have to pinch myself sometimes that he’s here and it’s not all a dream.

The love I feel for this adorable little two year is off the scale. Being his Mama is the best thing I have ever done. He makes me smile, my heart burst with happiness and I am so incredibly proud of him. He amazes me day in and day out with his little sayings, the way he says ‘my’ instead of ‘I’ (‘my do it’ instead of I’ll do it) the way he adores his Little Ted and how he wants to dance to hubby’s music on the stereo whilst watching the Twirlywoos on TV on silent.

But I’m broody. So broody. Lots of friends are having babies and I’m so happy for them but I’m yearning to give our Son a brother or sister to grow up with. A brother or sister for him to build a relationship with, someone to share bedtime stories with and play games with in the garden.

It took us a long time to conceive Little Mr, two and a half long years so I’m conscious that it may take us the same time again. Some say having one baby sometimes makes it easier to fall pregnant again but what if they’re wrong? What if it takes another two long years or even longer? In some respects, if it did take us that long we would be more financially ready to welcome another baby into our lives. Our bank accounts might look a little healthier but it’s not about the money at all. We would make do. We would find a way. We would cut back to make it work.

I’m still (quite a lot) overweight. I have at least another 5 stone to lose before I’m considered healthy but I’m only a stone and a half away from the weight I was when we conceived Little Mr. I’m a lot healthier than I was three and a half years ago so it could happen.

But is there ever a right time to have another baby?

What if it happened straight away? I would be over the moon. I’m so ready to have another baby. The worries of pregnancy and having to endure the pain of labour doesn’t frighten me. They’re just temporary. You forget the pain even if the stretch marks of pregnancy and the emergency c-section scars are stitched upon my body for life. That’s my little boys journey into the world and I’m very proud of them.

I want to complete our family with another little bundle of love. I know I’m ready and my husband is ready (and willing, tmi I know!) to start a new little life so why should we wait? Should we forget about everything else that’s holding us back? The lack of savings? My weight issues? Only having a two bedroomed house?

Shiltons July 2015

One thing is for sure and that is life is too short. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? We really should seize the day and make the most of every opportunity. I don’t want to look back and think we waited too long just for all the other factors to be just right.

Is there ever a right time to have another baby? No, I don’t think there is!

Super Busy Mum

• Reply Michelle highe

My daughter is having her second baby her little girl will be 6 this isn’t through choice as things didn’t work out with other partner she would have loved one sooner.
    You have got to do what’s right for you all as you can always find an if or a but as to why you should wait.

07/07/2015 at 1:37 pm
  • Reply Colette

Just get on with it love. We had our two in a two bed house comfortably (and even managed with three like that for a year or so).
    As you say, you have no idea how long it will take to conceive – you could be pregnant next month or it could take years. My advice on this one is always to just do it, don’t waste time. X

07/07/2015 at 1:54 pm
  • Reply HELEN

I say just go for it…when it happens you will realise that the time was right after all…

07/07/2015 at 2:17 pm
  • Reply Enily Grant

I honestly believe there is never a right time, we could plot and plan for the rest of our lives but there will always be something to consider.

Life is too short. I wish you all the luck in the world with your journey to expand your family further.

07/07/2015 at 4:20 pm
  • Reply Hannah

Ours is definitely that there is a lack of space in our house and although financially we could probably make do (as you said above). Physically I’m not sure I would entirely hold up. Would I want to be pregnant again so soon? Yes and no. Clearly I’d be happy if it happened “unplanned” but on this side no I don’t think I’d want another baby just yet.

Following my C Section I was advised not to get pregnant again for between 18 and 24 months because my body is still healing. We’re currently at the 12 month line and I don’t think I’m ready. Some days juggling just Jaxon takes every ounce of patience because he’s such a wiggly baby. I want to enjoy these stages still while he’s learning how to walk and talk and things like that.

It’s the same question to start with “are we ready to have kids?” Are you ever ready? You could work your socks off to be financially ready but then find you don’t have the partner (or the right partner). You could find the right partner and never be financially ready. So I guess you have to gauge your situation and go for it. If you’re concerned it might take that long could you start and see what happens?

SW are amazing and you can continue to follow the play while pregnant. Your goal is to maintain more than lose because you’re growing a human but it means you’re still eating healthily. It didn’t entirely work for me and I’d give in to the doughnut craving more often than not but I am working on it. I’m still a stone lighter than pre pregnancy and I’m grateful for that. My body made and a healthy gorgeous baby boy and I wouldn’t change that.

07/07/2015 at 6:22 pm
  • Reply Donna

There is never a right time. Plenty of people have two kids in a two bedroom house and your weight really isn’t an issue – if it’s meant to be it will happen. Go for it lovely x

07/07/2015 at 9:08 pm
    • Reply Emma Shilton

Thanks Donna, I appreciate your support xx

07/07/2015 at 10:11 pm
  • Reply Lindsay @ Newcastle Family Life

Nope there is never a right time but i think that whenever your heart says so then that is a good enough time. My third was a total shock as i had a five month old and had only just weeks beforehand had surgery to remove my gall bladder and was still on maternity leave. So it was not the ideal time but having him has completed our family and i would not change him for the world xx

07/07/2015 at 9:58 pm
    • Reply Emma Shilton

Thanks Lindsay, I’m a big believer in things happening for a reason (not always knowing what that reason is for some things) so fingers crossed xx

07/07/2015 at 10:11 pm

I'd love to hear from you!