Little Mr’s cake smash

11/02/2014

Yesterday, as Little Mr turned one, we transformed a corner of our bathroom into a mini photo shoot studio for his first birthday cake smash. I had attempted to make him a cake myself but in all honesty it was a huge fail and I had to resort to buying a Marks and Spencers ready made cake that I transformed myself into a buttercreamed rainbow drop dream.

mrsshilts cake smash

I topped the cake off with a candle and began setting up my corner of the bathroom with decorations. I used red and white polka dot bunting for the background and used a couple of the balloons we had blown up for Little Mr’s tea party.

I dressed Little Mr in a plain white vest (although it did have I love Daddy written on it in honour that Daddy was at work and missing all the fun) as I didn’t really fancy dressing him up in anything silly or naff. I popped his party hat on his head and to my surprise he kept it on. He didn’t do that at his tea party so I was quite amazed. What a star!

mrsshilts cake smash

So the aim of the cake smash is quite simply for the baby to smash the cake. It’s a bit of fun. I’m going to spend the next ten years telling him not to mess with his food so whilst he’s too young to remember, I thought this would be great fun and let him loose on the cake.

mrsshilts cake smash

Except Little Mr didn’t really fancy smashing the cake, he decided to touch the cake delicately and take off rainbow drops one by one eating them gently as he does with his dinner.

DSC07608.1

Not interested in the cake smash

I did encourage him to eat a bit more but to be honest, he wasn’t really interested in smashing it up. He did squidge his hands into the buttercream and he tasted it but he didn’t like it. I wasn’t able to catch a photograph of him pulling a face when he ate it but I think it’s safe to say it was far too sweet for him to eat.

mrsshilts cake smashmrsshilts cake smash

mrsshilts cake smash

mrsshilts cake smash

This was as messy as it got; a handful of rainbow drops on the floor and a smear of buttercream on Little Mr’s face, hands and legs. It wasn’t a messy session but it was really fun so instead of a cake smash I’ve renamed it to cake touch! I’d definitely recommend it and we have some beautiful photographs of our one year old Little Mr to look back on in years to come.

How did you celebrate your little one’s first birthday? What have you got planned? I’d love to hear from you.

• Reply HELEN 11/02/2014 at 10:33 pm

aww bless him, I hope he ate some cake in the end! My 3 each had a chocolate button hedgehog cake & all 3 of them ate it differently – my eldest just picked the buttons off & ate them, youngest played with it & my daughter went in face first!

• Reply Sian Jones 11/02/2014 at 10:50 pm

What a little cutie! I’m impressed (if disappointed) at the lack of mess! I considered a cake smash but I know my little madam would plant her face and hands in it and then proceed to crawl around the room, leaving evidence of her presence as she goes! It’s her birthday in 4 weeks, I have hired a local village hall and am hosting a “stay and play” with soft play we have been leant by SureStart and toys we are taking ourselves – plus obviously a tea party and a birthday cake. Maybe party bags too ;) I know I know “it’s all for the parents at this age”, but Sophia LOVES being around other kids – what better way to spend her birthday!? Although with babies’ siblings there are now 20 attendees (plus adults). Umm……
    Happy birthday little man xx

• Reply Zoe Corkhill (Mama Geek) 11/02/2014 at 11:06 pm

Aww, bless him! Lydia would have just scoffed the lot, she’s such a greedy pig. He is so delicate compared to my little monster :-D

• Reply James Gibson 12/02/2014 at 10:39 am

Great cake smash it was one pf the cleaner ones I have seen I like your re naming ‘cake touch’. Thanks for linking up :-)

• Reply Laura 12/02/2014 at 12:24 pm

Awww he’s so cute! Hope he had a fab birthday. We did a cake smash with T too (pics are on my blog!) and he was the same – so reserved! The good thing about that was, there was cake left for me! Hehe. Lovely pics!

• Reply Stacey G @ Nobody Said It Was Easy 12/02/2014 at 9:47 pm

Oh bless him! My little man would have probably tried to scoff the lot! We had a small party for him the weekend before his birthday, then went out for lunch just the 3 of us on his actual birthday. I wished we’d done a cake smash though! x

• Reply Emma 13/02/2014 at 10:45 pm