*This post is sponsored by Aldi
One of the best gifts I received when I was pregnant with Freddie was a nappy cake. It was lovingly made by my Mum and was packed full of super useful baby items that was not only practical but saved me some money too! Using Aldi Mamia baby products, I’ve asked my Mom to help me on this project as we recreate a nappy cake which is ideal for baby showers or to celebrate a new arrival.
The best thing about making a nappy cake is that you can fill it with any products you want. From my recent browse around our local Aldi store, I’ve selected a few items which will come in really useful for a new parent and included them in the cake. This way you can introduce your friends to your favourite Aldi products and they can try them before they buy and then restock them once baby has arrived.
We’ve used Aldi Mamia newborn nappies as the layers in the nappy cake as they’re small enough to use but big enough to build up a good base. Additionally they’re brilliant for new parents who may not have enough newborn nappies in at home (they go through SO many in those first few months!)
Aldi Mamia nappies are brilliant. They’re soft, super absorbent and have a brilliant fit for little ones. But don’t take my word for it, they’re multi-award winning. For the fifth year in a row, Aldi have scooped gold for their nappy range at the Mother and Baby Awards 2018, securing its place as Britain’s favourite best value nappy brand.
What you need:
- 2 packets of Mamia Newborn Size 1 nappies
- Mamia Extra Sensitive Baby Wipes
- Mamia Nappy Sacks
- Mamia Baby Shampoo
- Mamia Baby Bath
- Lacura Cotton Pads
- Lily & Dan Muslins (pack of 3)
- Lacura Hand Gel
- Small elastic bands x48
- Large elastic bands x3
How to make your nappy cake
- Take a nappy and roll it up, secure it with an elastic band.
- Repeat the process until you’ve rolled all nappies
- Gathering approximately 30 nappies together with their rolled up ends facing upwards, you can start to form the base of the nappy cake.
- Secure with a large elastic band and shape into a circle
- To use the additional baby products as part of the nappy cake, take out one or two of the nappies from the middle and place the products upright securing the nappies around them.
- Once the first layer is complete, you’re ready to begin the second layer
- *Top tip* if the bottom layer is a little unsteady, tie the muslin around it to hold it all together, you can easily take these off or rearrange the muslins to suit once the cake it made.
- Put nappies around the products (they will probably stick out the top) and secure with a large elastic band
- Work the remaining products into the nappies for the second tier, removing one or two nappies and placing the items upright.
- The final, smaller tier can now be created using the tops of the products as toppers
- Opening the Lily and Dan packet of 3 Muslins, we folded the muslins diagonally so that we had more length to play with. Tie the muslin around the layer to hide the elastic bands.
- Re-tie the muslin around the bottom two layers at the back of the cake
- Tie the muslin around the top tier into a bow
- Gift as it is or wrap in cellophane to keep dust free ready for Mum-to-be and baby
How much does it cost?
The nappy cake is really cheap to make. It makes a wonderful gift as it’s recipient will definitely appreciate the time and effort you’ve put in to make it. The nappy cake above cost just £8.18 (excluding elastic bands) that’s a brilliant price and what’s more is, you put in as much or as little product as you like!
Cotton Wool Pads 69p / Baby Shampoo 65p / Bed time Bath 65p / Nappy Sacks 85p / Newborn Nappies Size 1 85p (x2 £1.70) / Extra Sensitive Baby Wipes 65p / Lily and Dan Muslins £2.99 // Total = £8.18 (excluding elastic bands)
I’ve recently gifted the nappy cake to a friend who has recently had a baby and she loved it. She couldn’t believe how many products and how many nappies were included in it! I’ll definitely be making more of these for friends that are expecting.
Disclosure: We are delighted to be working in partnership with Aldi Mamia this year.