Happy New Year! To kick off the new year, I wanted to document some goals that I’m going to work on throughout the year. They’re both personal and work / blog related and I always think if I write them down, they’re more permanent than a fleeting idea in my head. I’ve been tagged by Cat of Rock and Roll Pussycat in her 18 things for 2018 post which is a great way to kick off the new year.
Aside from becoming a Mummy of two little boys in the next few weeks, there’s so much more I want to achieve in 2018. They’re not really new years resolutions as such, but things to work towards and ones I hope to achieve.
Here’s my 18 things for 2018;
- Write more personal posts on my blog – I love writing this blog, it’s grown with me and my family over the last eight years but sometimes I don’t write what I would like to write for fear of rejection or ridicule. I often write a blog post, give my side of the story and then shelve it because sometimes it’s easier to say nothing than get stuff off my chest. But I want to write more personal posts this year so watch out for these!
- Use my Erin Condren Life Planner to the max – I used to be so organised. I would never forget a birthday or an anniversary, I would always remember to pay things on time and we’d always know when appointments were. This year I’ve invested in a beautiful planner and will be religiously writing stuff down, getting my shit together and being more proactive.
- Get back to Slimming World – Being pregnant for the last nine months, I’ve not been following the SW plan much (if at all) and although I’m still pregnant writing this, I think I’ve gained about 4 stone during those months. I’m hoping I’ll lose a couple of them when baby boy arrives and all that extra amniotic fluid I’m carrying disappears too! If not, then I know what I need to do to shift the weight and get back on the SW bandwagon. I loved seeing results each weeks on the scales and more so, in the way my clothes fitted me and the shape of my face (oh how I wish I didn’t have three chins!) so will be going back to class as soon as I’m up to it.
- Meal plan weekly – Last year I was so good at meal planning then I fell pregnant and the thought of cooking in the kitchen and opening the fridge made me gag! This year, I’m hoping to meal plan for the week ahead and as I’ll be at home during the day, I’m hoping to get ahead with the cooking and prepare our evening meals in advance. I’m going to use the slow cooker more often and hopefully this will save us some money too! I used to write up my meal planning posts every Monday and I hope to get these back up on the blog in the new year too!
- Go on a summer holiday with my boys – We have been looking at holidays abroad for a few months now but haven’t booked anything as we weren’t too sure how our finances would be with me being on maternity leave. I’m really hoping we can make some savings this year and put this money to good use on a summer holiday with my boys. Olly fancies Greece whereas me and Shilts just want somewhere sunny and warm!
- Renovate our bathroom – we really need to sort our bathroom out this year. We need to make some structural changes to our outside bathroom wall before we renovate our bathroom so that will be our first big change. Then we would love a new bath, a new shower and other essentials; sink and toilet.
- Find a family friendly routine for blog work – Working on my blog has always been something I’ve done in the evenings once Olly’s gone to bed and on my Fridays off work. In my HR job, I didn’t work Fridays so used this day to get ahead with blog work and attend events. Being on maternity leave this year, I want to find a family friendly routine that fits in with taking Olly to and from school and spending time with our baby boy and of course, Shilts. I know it’ll take a bit of time to find a routine that works for us all but I’m confident I can do it and not work all the hours after midnight.
- Take a photography course – I love taking photographs and have a DSLR and a digital camera but I don’t really know how to use them properly. I would love to find out how to take them off auto and get some fantastic photographs of my boys.
- See my friends more – Last year I didn’t spend as much time as I would have liked with my friends. Unfortunately for me, most of my close friends live quite a distance away so I need to make plans and get in the car and go see them.
- Spend more time with Shilts – Our lives do revolve around our boys and as much as we would both say we don’t, we both spend far too much time on our phones. We need to make time for each other, do things we enjoy together and use our support network to help with babysitting!
- Enjoy a family adventure every month – Whether it’s a day trip to the beach, an afternoon at a local park or a road trip to see a new part of the country, I hope we can get out and about at least once a month to enjoy family time and make lots of fabulous memories.
- Invest in a new front door – We have lived in our little terraced house for over 13 years and have slowly been making improvements to it as and when cash allows. We would love to change our front door as our current one is grotty and doesn’t have any curb appeal at all.
- Put me first more often – I am a little bit rubbish at self care if I’m honest, I always make sure the boys have what they need first and then whatever time or money is left, I sometimes use on me. This year, I’d like to put me first a bit more often. I need to get my hair cut on a regular basis, get my eyebrows threaded, take more time for leisurely baths rather than the rushed, late at night showers and perhaps enjoy a spa day with my girls every few months.
- Be more proactive – As I sit here knee deep in expense receipts and bank statements completing my tax return for the year 2016/2017, I really want to be more proactive this year and get ahead with things like this.
- Sell myself more – I also want to pitch more to brands who I’d like to work with on the blog. I’d love to travel more with my boys but with more and more bloggers out there, I need to sell myself and put myself out there!
- Make more of an effort with make up – I am useless when it comes to make up. I don’t wear it as much as I would like too and mostly, it’s because I’m not very good at applying it and I look like some sort of drag queen! I need to embrace the beauty counters a little bit more and learn from the pros!
- Embrace Instagram – I love taking photographs and spend far too much time faffing around with them on my phone before scrapping them and worrying how many likes they won’t get. This year, I’m going to post lots of photographs and fill my feed with happiness and things I love rather than worry about if other people like them! I’m definitely not going to be insta famous and I’m more than okay with that!
- Enjoy maternity leave – With baby boy due in less than two weeks, I cannot wait to enjoy my maternity leave with him. I cannot actually believe I’m going to become a Mummy of two this month and I can’t wait to enjoy bonding with our newest arrival. My maternity leave with Olly was incredible, we had so many adventures and I can’t wait to have similar experiences with our baby boy. As much as I want my blog to work well, I need to take some time off and enjoy those newborn snuggles.
So there’s my list of 18 things I want to focus on in the new year. I’m tagging these lovely ladies so that we can all be nosey at their goals for 2018 too; Colette from We’re Going On An Adventure, Beth from Twinderelmo and Steph from Mental Parentals.
Are you making any resolutions or setting any targets for yourself this year? I’d love to hear them!