* A collaborative post
One of the best things about the Christmas holidays is having the time to get in the kitchen and bake some festive treats. I love to bake gingerbread biscuits, Christmas cookies and the occasional batch of mince pies and this year Olly wanted to join in the fun and try his hand at gingerbread biscuits. This is a tried and tested recipe which always make the perfect gingerbread biscuit perfect for this time of year.
This recipe is a quick and simple recipe that makes about 15 medium sized biscuits. Of course depending on the size of your biscuit cutters you could make more using the dough. Most of the ingredients you’ll find in the baking aisle at your local supermarket.
Preparation time: 30 minutes / Baking time: 15 minutes
Tools you will need
- Rolling pin
- Greaseproof paper
- Baking tray
- Variety of biscuit cutters; mini people, stars, christmas trees,
Ingredients for gingerbread biscuits
- 100g butter (unsalted)
- 350g plain flour
- 175g light brown soft sugar
- 4 tablespoons of golden syrup
- 1 medium egg
- 5 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180c
- Cut a sheet of greaseproof paper and place it on the baking tray
- Mix together butter, flour, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl. Mix it all together with your fingertips until crumbly.
- Add the sugar, syrup and egg and mix together until it forms a firm pastry mix. Add a little splash of water if too dry.
- Dust flour on surface and rolling pin
- With the rolling pin, roll out the pastry to your desired thickness
- Use biscuit cutters to cut out shapes
- Place the cut out pastry on the baking tray leaving space for biscuits to expand a little in the oven
- Bake in the oven until golden brown for between 12-15 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack
- Decorate if desired and enjoy!
This is such a fun and easy activity to little ones to do over Christmas, the baked gingerbread biscuits smell beautiful and they’re delicious too!
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #CollectiveBias