*An advertorial feature
Finally it’s looking like the sunshine is here to stay for the summer which means carefree summer holidays, picnics at the park and evenings in the garden. I fondly remember the summer holidays as a child, playing with my sister and our friends in the back garden digging mud pies and making flower petal perfume, riding our bikes around the cul-de-sac and playing street games until bedtime.
One of the best summer holidays I can remember was when me and my sister went on holiday with my parents and we rode our bikes around the fields of the holiday cottage. We had such a brilliant holiday, we must have cycled miles around in circuits frequently falling off our bikes as we rode around the corners too quickly. Our knees and shins were forever being covered in Germolene or ‘magic cream’ as we knew it and we’d be back outside to play again.
Germolene* is one of my secret Mummy weapons, although as many other parents will agree, it’s no secret how useful it is. It helps prevent infections from those scraped knees, has antiseptic and local anaesthetic properties which helps to sooth cuts and grazes and can also soothe minor skin conditions too. The best thing about Germolene, apart from the smell which I absolutely love, is that it’s easily absorbed meaning it’s quick to apply so the children can get treated quickly and they’re back off out to play with their friends.
I desperately want the same kind of childhood for my own son, I want him to remember the days spent outside learning to ride his bike, playing football with his Daddy or chasing a kite with his Grandad in the park. But for 21st century children, the lure of the digital playground can be much more attractive opting for time on their tablets or computer games.
*Germolene Antiseptic cream contains phenol and chlorhexidine gluconate. Always read the label.
Celebrating outdoor play – the challenge
The team at Germolene want to encourage the nation to ‘swap the smartphone for the scooter’ and get outdoors. They’re asking parents to get outdoors more with their children and are encouraging them to swap digital time inside with 30 minutes of outdoor play.
There’s also a fantastic opportunity for parents to win a Toys R Us voucher for £150. Olly and I will be swapping seven days of digital play for outdoor play and we’ll be reporting back at the end of the month with how we got on.
How to enter
- Swap 30 minutes of digital play to outdoor play every day for seven days.
- Share your experience of the challenge with me by leaving a blog post comment including detail of what your own memories of outdoor play as a child were?
The competition ends on Thursday 31st August 2017 at 23:59. Terms and conditions apply (see below).
Competition Terms and Conditions:
1. This competition is open to residents of the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland. The competition is open to entrants over the age of 18 only.
2. All information detailing how to enter this competition forms part of these terms and conditions. It is a condition of entry that all rules are accepted as final and that the competitor agrees to abide by these rules. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Submission of entry will be taken to mean acceptance of these terms and conditions.
3. Entries should be submitted as a comment on the blog post. Entrants should include their own name and relevant contact information i.e. email address.
4. All entries must be received by the advertised closing time and date to be stated by the blogger
5. Each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to Bayer to feature any or all of the submitted story in consumer press and Bayer company publications, on their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.
6. Late, illegible, incomplete, defaced or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties.
7. The winning entry will be chosen by Germolene. The winner will be notified within seven days of the closing date of the competition. The competition closes on Thursday 31st August 2017.
8. Offensive or entries deemed by the competition organisers to be inappropriate or not in relation to the competition will not be accepted and removed from the blogsite.
9. All reasonable efforts will be made to contact each winner but if the prize is declined or unclaimed by a winner, within 14 days of contact, or if a winner cannot be contacted from the details supplied, a replacement winner will be selected at the Promoter’s discretion and will be notified by the Promoter by phone or email. The original entry/nomination will then be forfeited. Employees of the Promoter and blogger’s families are not eligible for entry into this competition. Any third parties involved in the preparation and/or performance of this competition are also not eligible.
10. The winning entry will win a £150 voucher for Toys R Us, valid for one year from the competition provider’s purchase
Disclosure: I have been compensated for hosting this competition