*A collaborative post
As a modern family, we love to embrace new technology to enhance our busy lives. Both my husband and I have laptops, phones and tablets which we use regularly for a variety of reasons and recently, our four year old Son was given a tablet for Christmas which he absolutely loves. Whilst he’s not allowed on it every day, his tablet is brilliant for the times when it’s beneficial for him to be entertained; on long car journeys, travelling during a family holiday and for when an educational app can teach him phonics better than I can.
We were recently sent the new Amazon Fire Tablet 7″ which launched just last month which has been improved with some impressive features. Not only does the Amazon Fire Tablet now have Alexa (a voice assistant for quick assess a wealth of information) it’s thinner, lighter and much more durable so you can take the tablet with you anywhere you like! The new Amazon fire tablet has an improved battery life which is perfect for me as I am always forgetting to plug in my devices. It has an improved 7″ IPS display with higher contrast and sharper text making it much more user friendly and easier on the eye. It’s available in four all-new colours: Black, Marine Blue, Punch Red and Canary Yellow which is my absolute favourite as it’s such a cheerful colour.
I haven’t used Alexa previously and have really enjoyed asking questions and finding out lots of useful (and not so useful) snippets of information. Alexa requires a WI-FI connection so will only work when you’re connected. You can ask literally any question and Alexa will come back with an answer. Alexa also works with smart home devices so you could ask your Amazon Fire Tablet to turn off the light in your bedroom without even getting out of bed. How clever it that?
No quibble replacement guarantee – a parents dream!
Olly has the Amazon Fire for kids with a blue kid-proof case and it’s proved to be a real hit. He has his favourite apps on the tablet, some are games, some are educational learning apps and and some are interactive versions of his favourite cartoons and television programmes. One of the best things about the Kids version is the quibble free replacement guarantee. We’ve recently had to return his original tablet and the process was very quick and easy.
Our top five family apps from the Amazon Appstore
One of the best things about the Amazon Fire Tablet is that is has access to the Amazon Appstore which offers an enormous range of apps and games for entertainment and education. We have each customised our tablets with a variety of apps to suit our personal interests and we have found some fantastic apps whilst browsing the Amazon Appstore. There are lots of free apps to download as well as some good paid for apps too.
Here’s our top 5 family apps
- Pango Blocks – this is one of Olly’s favourite apps. It’s a challenge app and requires the user to think logically and work out the answer to the problem. Place the blocks in the correct position and order to enable a path for Pango to walk over. The app challenges little ones to think about the problem and to come up with a solution. It’s a paid for app at just £1.99 and has been good for Olly to learn how to think about logical problems.
- BBC iPlayer – this is one of my favourite apps as it allows me to catch up on all my favourite BBC documentaries and television programmes whenever I’m connected to the wi-fi. I can also watch live TV and download television programmes to watch later. This is a free download.
- Sudoku – another one of my favourite apps, this app allows me to switch off from everyday life and to challenge myself with a game or two. I really like having a good ten or fifteen minutes to relax once I’ve got home from work and this app is brilliant for enabling me to switch off from work mode, clears my head before starting on the housework and being Mum. There are lots of Sudoku apps and I use a free to download version.
- DisneyLife – since returning from Disneyland Paris recently, both Olly and I have wanted to watch more and more Disney films and the DisneyLife app is a brilliant paid for service which allows us to stream a whole range of films and television shows direct to our tablet. There’s a free trial available which is then payable (£4.99 per month) An essential app and service for every Disney fan young or old!
- Listure – a brilliant free app to download on your tablet to help keep on track of everything you need to remember. You can create list upon lists and keep them all safely stored on the app. My current list collection includes ‘blog posts to write’, ‘birthdays to remember in August’, ‘shopping needed for Sunday’ and ‘places to advertise blog giveaways’. If you’re a bit of a list writer like I am, this is the app for you!
The Amazon Fire Tablet is a fantastic entertainment device without the hefty price tag. It’s a brilliantly accessible tablet for the whole family to use and with the wide range of Amazon Appstore apps to browse and download, there really is something for everyone. The Amazon Fire Tablet with Alexa is currently priced at £49.99 (8GB).
Disclosure: We are working with Amazon Appstore on this campaign and received an Amazon Fire Tablet in exchange for this review.