*A post in collaboration with Marks and Spencer
Every morning at 6:30am, my alarm goes off and I hit snooze. Probably once or twice if I’m honest before I haul myself out of bed to face the day. I’m really not a morning person. It takes me a bit of time to wake up before I creep into my four year old’s bedroom for a glimpse of him still fast asleep. Seeing him sleep so peacefully really makes my day, I still have to pinch myself that I’m his Mummy, then of course I disturb him and he wakes up like a little whirlwind and the peace is shattered before the school run. It’s the little things in life that make me smile.
On Thursday 1st June, it’s national Make It Matter Day and Marks and Spencer want us to take a moment to think about what really matters in life. In a recent study, Marks and Spencer found that 96% of us feel like we’re spending life on autopilot; getting up, going to work, coming home, cooking the tea, watching the same television programmes before going to bed to start the whole cycle again the next day. Do you remember your journey into work today? Do you ever get home and realise you can’t really remember how you got home, you just did? I know I’ve done that. Although life can be full of routine, sometimes it’s good to break the rules and do something different.
According to the research, 81% of us think it’s the small things that make a big difference yet we don’t make time for nearly enough of them. It’s the days in-between the big milestones; not just the first days at school, the big birthdays, the new home, a new baby, a friend’s wedding. It’s the days in-between. We need to make them count too!
In recent days, I’ve been thinking about how I’m living life. Am I really getting the most out of everyday? I’ve been having a good think over the last few weeks (and of course, recent terror incidents in Manchester have been at the forefront of my mind) about how I make the most of everyday life and I’ve made a small list..
How I make the most of everyday life
- I love looking at the clouds in the sky to make shapes and find characters running across the sky. Yes, I am 35 but it’s nice to escape for a while and appreciate what we take for granted.
- I sometimes wear my ‘posh’ underwear to work, just because I can!
- I let my Son have an ice-cream from the ice-cream van when it’s sunny on the way home from pre-school
- I always tell my Husband and my Son I love them first thing in the morning and last thing at night
- I like to eat ‘the best bit of a meal’ first, just in case I’m too full towards the end.
- I buy myself pretty flowers to brighten up the kitchen
- Having a dance in the kitchen to the radio when it plays one of my favourite songs
- Saying “Yes” to mid-week evenings out with friends
As part of Make It Matter Day, Marks and Spencer want you to focus on what little changes you can make to spend life well. They’ll be supporting our local communities over the next couple of years to encourage us all to spend life well. How do you make time for things that really matter? Do you ditch the washing up in favour of reading a bedtime story with the kids? Do you buy the expensive make up as a little treat every so often? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
What are you going to do today to spend life well?