February has been a really lovely month for us all. It’s by far my favourite month of the year so far and lots of things have made me smile this month. I think after everyone has settled into January, February is the month where plans are being made, the finances aren’t so stretched and there’s a hint of spring on the way.
Here’s my 10 things in February that have really made me smile;
- New homeware – we are planning on getting our lounge redecorated and had seen some bits and pieces in Sainsbury’s that were beautiful. I fell in love with some cushions, some candle jars and a couple of baskets so had to have them. I just need to get on with the redecorating now!
- New lashes – this is something I don’t usually do but decided to embrace my desire to be a bit more girly. I went to my local beauty salon and had some gorgeous lashes added to my non-existent lashes and I love them. They take a little bit of time to get used to but I love the effect they have of making my eyes look bigger.
- Cold afternoons on the beach – we spent just half an hour on the beach at Bognor Regis battling against the wind, the rain and the cold but it was lovely. So nice to take in the fresh sea air and throw pebbles into the sea.
- Financial freedom (sort of) – we paid off a big debt recently and the freedom of having paid that off is so satisfying. There is absolutely no shame in having debt but it’s such a relief to have closed the book on that chapter of our lives.
- Driving an automatic car – we borrowed a Toyota C-HR for the weekend and I was a little worried I wouldn’t be able to drive it as it was an automatic and not a manual. It was wonderful to drive, such a dream and I didn’t think I would fall for all the gadgets but they just made driving that little bit easier.
- Birthday cake – no birthday is officially a birthday without a cake. I asked a local cake maker to make us one for Olly’s 4th birthday and it was brilliant. It was a Disney Cars design with Lightning McQueen on the top with his name in the Cars badge design. Just what Olly had wanted and was so tasty too!
- Compassionate and understanding NHS consultants – we had our long awaited fertility appointment earlier in the month and I had psyched myself up for a fight. Usually I have to get all defensive and battle my corner but this consultant was just lovely. She really took time to listen to me and agreed with how harsh my own doctor had been. She prescribed me some medication and gave me some targets to aim for with my weight loss. It was such a contrast to previous appointments I’ve had and I came out crying happy tears.
- Countryside drives – my husband upgraded his car this month and had wanted to take it on a drive out somewhere to give it a good run (any excuse eh?) so we headed up to the Peak District and stopped off for lunch at a little tea shop in Hartington. We had a lovely Ploughmans lunch and loved exploring the hills. Took me back to when I did the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award at school and we had to walk 14 mile in the Peak District and carry our tents and be self sufficient for the weekend. Was such an adventure and bought back many happy memories.
- Seeing some snow fall – we briefly saw a sprinkling of snow on Olly’s birthday but it didn’t settle which was a shame. It did snow quite a bit at home on the Saturday after his birthday but we were in Bognor Regis so didn’t see any of it unfortunately. I think we need to move to Finland for some proper snow!
- Daffodils – I love seeing daffodils in Spring and the supermarkets seem to be full of them at the moment which is great as they’re cheap and beautiful when they bloom, they really do cheer me and my kitchen up.
They were my 10 things that made me smile in February. What were yours?