{The Ordinary Moments 17} #2 Getting a hair cut

15/01/2017

When Olly was a baby he had the most beautiful head of hair. In his early years, from age one onwards, he grew the most amazing blonde curls. They were absolutely beautiful, framing his face with perfect strawberry blonde ringlets and they were a real talking point. Everyone used to comment on his hair. The old ladies in the supermarket, other passengers on the train, we literally couldn’t go anywhere without someone talking about his curls.

It was a sad day when we had to get his hair cut. It had grown really long and the curls didn’t sit neatly on his head. They blew around in the wind and it got to the stage where he just looked bedraggled and scruffy with hair all over the place. Washing his hair was a nightmare as the curls got tangled together and bath time was becoming a bit too much as he didn’t want us to wash his hair and of course, we needed to. As a parent you have to pick your battles wisely with your children and we could all do without tears at bedtime.

Olly hair cut January 2017

Fast forward to 3 weeks before his fourth birthday and yesterday I took Olly to get his hair cut. His hair grows so quickly, he’s got beautiful thick hair like his Daddy with my blonde colouring. With Olly being at pre-school now, we like to keep his hair relatively short and neat but after a couple of months growth, I can see the start of his curls coming back. I would love to let them grow but it’s not really practical for pre-school anymore with the threat of nits and playdoh rice (I’ve already retrieved several strands of bright orange playdoh from his hair this week.)

Olly hair cut January 2017

How grown up does he look with his short new haircut? Every time we get it cut he looks so much older. My curly haired little toddler has grown into such a beautiful little boy. He sits alone in the chair chatting away to Amy, our hairdresser, sitting still and moving his head in which ever direction she asks him to.

The appointment at the hair salon is now such an ordinary moment for some, but not for us, it’s one where I leave with a little boy who grows up a little bit more whilst we’re there; growing in experience, independence and confidence. And I’m so proud!

The Ordinary Moments

• Reply Mum Reinvented 15/01/2017 at 9:28 am

Aww he looks so grown up. I remember those curls, he had such gorgeous hair as a baby! Well done Olly for sitting still, mine’s 5 and he screams the place down when he has his hair done!

• Reply Sarah | Boo Roo and Tigger Too 15/01/2017 at 10:38 am

He looks so grown up with his hair short. I do miss the curls but can completely understand the practicalities of having short hair.

• Reply Laura - Dear Bear and Beany 15/01/2017 at 3:40 pm

This is so sweet. My youngest daughter has curls and they falling out every week. I know they won’t last and it makes me so sad. It’s funny how a simple thing of a hair cut can make us mummies heart melt x

• Reply Joanna 15/01/2017 at 5:05 pm

Bless his hair looks lovely. My son is 2 and not had his haircut yet as he doesn’t have much to cut. It’s good ur son likes having his hair done #ordinary#ordinarymoments

• Reply Beth @ Twinderelmo 15/01/2017 at 6:19 pm

Ah his curls! My Charlie was the same although I can’t ever imagine him with them now as he has it so short. Much easier to wash especially with two girls who hate having theirs done!!

• Reply Karen, the next best thing to mummy 15/01/2017 at 6:24 pm

What a handsome little man you have#ordinarymoments

• Reply Laura @ Little Ladies Big World 15/01/2017 at 7:45 pm

Getting their hair cut really does seem to change them and make them look so grown up doesn’t it? I always come out thinking they have ages a year whilst they have been in there! x

• Reply Emily Barnett 15/01/2017 at 8:53 pm

How cute little boy you have. You know I’m little jealous Emma :)

I agree with the others, he looks so grown up now. Send you a big hug <3

• Reply Plutonium Sox 15/01/2017 at 10:31 pm

Oh he does look so grown up. My eldest didn’t have her hair cut at the hairdressers until the week before she started school, it’s heartbreaking seeing them being so grown up and seeing their beautiful locks coming off.
    Nat.x

• Reply Susan Mann 16/01/2017 at 4:33 pm

Aww what a wee cutie he is. They look so different with a wee hair cut don’t they. Big hugs #ordinarymoments

• Reply Donna 16/01/2017 at 9:13 pm

He looks so grown up. What a gorgeous boy you have Em x

• Reply Katie @mummydaddyme 16/01/2017 at 10:21 pm

Aw I remember Ollie’s amazing hair, his curls were literally beautiful. He looks so different but gorgeous none the less! What a big boy he is getting. x

• Reply Wave to Mummy 16/01/2017 at 11:47 pm

Aww what a big boy he is now :) He looks like hes loving his new haircut :) We still haven’t cut my daughter’s hair, it is getting ridiculously long now :D She’s about the same age as Olly, so it is a lot of hair ha ha… #theordinarymoments