Going to Pre-School | one week in


The countdown to pre-school has been and gone. Olly’s had his first week at pre-school and in all honesty, it’s been a massive rollercoaster for us all. There were routine changes, new school uniforms to wash, label and iron and plenty of nerves between us.

On his first day, Olly was excited to get up, have his breakfast and get ready for pre-school. All the pre-schoolers have to wear uniform like the rest of the school and I think he looks so grown up in it. It’s great though as we don’t need to worry about his usual clothes getting dirty or worn, the school uniform is pretty cheap and can be replaced if needs be.

We waved my husband off to work and Olly and I walked to school. He held my hand all the way there and was so brave when his teachers came down the path to collect them all. He gave me a kiss and walked off with the teachers. I was so proud of him. He didn’t even look back. I walked home with a massive lump in my throat and tears rolling down my cheeks. I had booked the morning off work as I wanted to be home just in case there were any issues but I needn’t have worried.

After three long hours (for me) my in-laws came with me to pick Olly up from pre-school. They’re really helping us out this year as they’ll be picking Olly up and looking after him whilst we’re in work. It was an anxious wait to find out how his morning went but the gate opened and out he came. His little face looked shell shocked and I didn’t want to bombard him with questions asking all about his morning but I couldn’t help myself.

He was very quiet during the afternoon offering snippets of insight into what he had been up to and all was well until bedtime. My husband went out to his usual night at the pub (he plays league darts) and I was putting Olly to bed when Olly got in bed and said “Mummy, I’m going to cry” and then the tears began. My poor little man sobbed his heart out saying he didn’t want to go back to school in the morning. Despite him saying that he had enjoyed it throughout the day. I guess the enormity of the day had hit him and he was scared of all the new things he was experiencing. It took about 45 minutes for Olly to settle down on Monday evening and he fell asleep sobbing which broke my heart.

Tuesday morning came around rather quick through a night of broken sleep and I woke up feeling nervous for the school run. Olly got upset as soon as we mentioned having some breakfast before school and he point blank refused to put his uniform on. After throwing his breakfast up and having to be restrained to put his uniform on, we walked to school in tears and leaving him sobbing on the playground was horrible. One of his teachers had to pick him up off me and said it was probably a good idea to leave now as not to lengthen the agony for us all.

I cried all the way to work and didn’t really relax until I had heard from my Mother-in-law that they had collected Olly at the end of his pre-school session and he was ok. Despite the tears first thing, he had a good morning and settled in well. Oh crikey, all the emotions!

Throughout the week, we had more tears from Olly, he told us he enjoyed pre-school and he had made friends, and he had a massive tantrum to say he definitely wasn’t going back and he told me I needed to tell his Teachers he wouldn’t be there the next day. Talk about up and down.

On Friday, there was a welcomed calmness to our morning before school. Olly put his uniform on without protest and we walked to school without tears. He even ran around the playground before going into school and it was all going so well until I gave him a kiss and he broke down and started crying asking me not to leave him. I knew he would be okay within a couple of minutes in the safe hands of his Teachers so left as soon as I could.

After picking him up on Friday, he was all smiles. He had received a special sticker from his Teacher for helping her throughout the week and I think this really did help calm him down. Giving him a job to do to take his mind off being left there without has really helped and his Teachers are sure he’s going to settle in and have a great year in pre-school.

So our first week of pre-school was eventful but we’re hoping from now on it gets easier for us all.

You Might Also Like


  • Reply Donna 17/09/2016 at 10:44 pm

    I am hoping you’re over the bump in the road and that each week is now as fine as Friday was! x

    • Reply Emma 17/09/2016 at 10:54 pm

      Thanks Donna, I really hope so too! x

    Leave a Reply

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.