Meal Planning Sunday 1/2016

With normal routine resuming tomorrow with the working week starting for the new year, my focus has turned to meal planning and this is something that my hubby and I do every Sunday.

Why we meal plan?

• With busy day jobs we need to be able to come home from work and cook a healthy meal within an hour without worrying about what to cook.
  • To stay in budget – if we have already bought the fresh ingredients, we won’t want to waste them by buying a take away or leaving them to go off in the fridge
  • To stay on plan with Slimming World – all our meals are planned with my diet in mind, they allow me to stay on track and food optimise in the hope that I can lose weight on plan

We plan meals for most days and make sure we have all the ingredients in the fridge for each meal. We’re not bound by meals for each particular day as there are days when you’re just not into what’s on the plan but having the ingredients in always helps us have an option for dinner.

Week One / 2016

I’ve been back on SW since last Wednesday as I gained a mammoth 8lb over Christmas. I didn’t want to see those numbers on the scale increase so decided to get back on plan, plan out our family meals for the end of the year and limit and moderate all the chocolate, crisps and naughtiness of the Christmas holidays.

Here’s what we’re eating this week;

• SW Chicken Kievs with crushed potatoes and veg (with salad for me)
  • Slow Cooker Jacket Potatoes (with tuna mayo for hubby / baked beans and low fat grated cheese for me)
  • Chilli Meatballs and Pasta
  • Slow Cooker Balsamic Beef and vegetables
  • Sausages, synfree Actifry chips, beans and egg (I’ll bulk my meal out with added speed foods – mushrooms, onions, peppers)

If you’re a meal planner, I’d love you to leave a link to your plans so I can check them out. What are you eating this week?

• Reply Amy Green

I wasn’t brave enough to attend class over Christmas so I don’t even know how much I’ve gained! But back on plan tomorrow and weigh in :( good luck! Xx

03/01/2016 at 8:43 am
    • Reply Emma Shilton

Good luck Amy, I’m so glad I braved the scales as I didnt think I had put that much on. Hopefully it’ll be mostly off this week

03/01/2016 at 2:24 pm
  • Reply Lauren (@laurenbigeejit)

I sat last night meal planning, I do it every week anyway but planned in some healthy dishes to make me feel I’m getting back on track myself. I also start work this week and can’t wait to have some routine back in my life, I eat so badly when I’m at home, even being out at toddler groups etc I still call in a shop on my way home for crisps!

03/01/2016 at 4:39 pm
    • Reply Emma Shilton

Fantastic, good luck in your new job lovely, I’m sure you’re going to be fabulous! xx

03/01/2016 at 5:31 pm
  • Reply Emma

The kievs sound good, I think we might have some next week. Good luck at losing the extra pounds, I hope you see a good result #mealplanningmonday

04/01/2016 at 9:50 pm
  • Reply Rachael Whitton

Well done for starting back on plan last Wednesday i started back on plan yesterday as that’s when i started back at work. I was weighed over Christmas and put on 2 lbs but i gained 2 lbs leading up to Christmas and still pigged out over New Year so even more weight gained lol.

Your meals sound lovely. Ive never done Jacket potatoes in the slow cooker might have to try that. and your Chilli Meatballs sound delicious. I started doing the 30 day shred dvd yesterday and i can hardly walk today lol. Good luck this week. I love reading your blog so i look forward to following you in 2016.

05/01/2016 at 11:58 am
    • Reply Emma Shilton

Thanks so much for your kind words Rachael. I just had to get back on track, I put weight on so easily it could have been much, much worse!

Try the jacket potatoes, they’re a great lazy dinner but completely on plan so work well for us and the chilli meatballs were delicious this evening. Good luck with weigh in this week x

05/01/2016 at 10:09 pm
  • Reply Amanda

Thanks for your honesty on your blog. I’m dreading weigh in tomorrow . Expecting an 8lb gain…If not more. The line has been drawn!

07/01/2016 at 1:06 am
    • Reply Emma Shilton

Aw thanks, you have to draw the line and move on.. good luck!

07/01/2016 at 9:24 pm
  • Reply Helen stuttard

I’ve just been reading your blog for the first time after seeing SW retweeted it on Twitter. I love it… Honest, inspiring and great ideas. I love the little blackboard with your meals for the week. I’m going to try jacket potatoes in slow cooker today. Never done them before but a fantastic idea. Thankyou and good luck in the rest of your SW journey…. Your doing great. Helen X

09/01/2016 at 7:36 am
    • Reply Emma Shilton

Thank you very much for your kind words Helen, I really appreciate you stopping by. Wishing you every success on your journey too x

09/01/2016 at 8:23 pm
  • Reply Mrs M

I have never thought about putting jackets in the slow cooker! That’s a revelation! Thanks for joining in lovely x

10/01/2016 at 8:58 pm
    • Reply Emma Shilton

Highly recommend it if you’re short for time! Glad to be joining in x

10/01/2016 at 9:18 pm

I'd love to hear from you!