Living Arrows 2015 – Week 45

Living Arrows 2015 – Week 45

“You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth” – Khalil Gibran

IMG_7957

This weekend we’ve spent some time just the three of us exploring the city of London. It’s something we’ve wanted to do for a long time and although we have family and friends in the city, we wanted to just spend some time with just each other for company showing Olly the sights of our capital.

It wasn’t the first time Olly had been to London, he’s been to various blog events over the last couple of years with me and we’ve visited family and friends with him but we’ve never been able to show him Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament and where the Queen lives.

For most of the time, Olly is an angel. He’s polite, friendly and will listen to us and follow our instructions. He’s a kind and considerate little boy who is rather sensitive at times and this is the little boy who soaks up so much information about the world around him and tells you all about it (in his own little way) it’s really quite incredible to think a two year old could think like that, often acting way above his years and we forget he’s only a toddler at just two years old.

When bedtime rolls around, we’re reminded he’s still very much our little boy who likes his ‘do-do’ (dummy) and his bottle of milk. I know we should really be making an effort to wean him off the dummy but he only ever has it at bedtime and has to put it away for during the day. We’ve spoken to him about it on numerous occasions about having to give up the dummy as big boys don’t have do-do’s and he’s agreed to give it up but then bedtime comes around again and he gets so upset if he can’t have it. It’s going to be a hard slog going cold turkey on that one.

If you’ve got any advice about getting your toddler to give up their dummy, I’d love to hear from you!

Living Arrows

• Reply Becky

oh he sounds a delight and i love his curly hair. My two didn’t have dummies so i have no advice but i don’t thin you need to worry too much right now 2 is very young and its a comforter x

09/11/2015 at 10:23 am
  • Reply Sian - The Mama Story

What a sweet boy and lovely shot. Hope you had a fun time in London! My daughter gave up her dummy proactively when she was 2.5 – she just came downstairs one day and said “these are for the new baby, I don’t need them anymore”. Then a year later she discovered her thumb and sucks that at bedtime now. I think that’s worse!
    #LivingArrows

09/11/2015 at 1:57 pm
  • Reply Jenna

He looks so thoughtful in this photo. :)

No experience with dummies but I know that some parents get their children to give them to the ‘dummy fairy’ or swap them for a new toy. He’s still pretty young so I wouldn’t worry too much. He’ll probably give it up in his own time when he feels too old for it. xx

09/11/2015 at 8:27 pm
  • Reply Joanne Ashton

I think we’re going to give Lucas’ dummy’s to Father Christmas in return for his presents, he’s pretty attached too x

09/11/2015 at 8:28 pm
    • Reply Emma Shilton

That’s a good idea Joanne! I’m dreading it to be honest

09/11/2015 at 8:45 pm
  • Reply Confessions of a New Mummy

I feel your struggle! E was 3 in August and I’m struggling with getting rid of it. We’ve been talking to her about it for months and we did try to get rid of them completely a few weeks ago, giving her a cuddly toy to replace them, telling her that when she felt like she needed her dummy to cuddle the toy instead. She was fine until bedtime! Now she loves the toy but refuses to give up the dummy but like Olly, she only has it at night. I’ve started to tell her that she has to get rid of it before Santa can bring her any presents (yes, I feel mean!) xx

09/11/2015 at 8:40 pm
  • Reply Debs @ Super Busy Mum

Your little guy is such a cutie and those curls are to die for. As for tips to give up the dummy, maybe use the dummy fairy or Santa? Hang it on the tree on Xmas eve for Santa to take back with him or something. Either way, good luck with it!! x

09/11/2015 at 9:12 pm
  • Reply Carie

No idea about dummies I’m afraid but he does look so adorable in that photo and still so very little!

09/11/2015 at 10:49 pm
  • Reply Sue smith

Hi Emma
    I think that in this day and age there is so much pressure to things to suit others, I feel dummies are a comfort to children he is still little.
    I had loads of people telling me Helen would have goofy teeth as she was 6 when she stopped having dummies, this was rubbish as she has the most perfectly straight teeth and never needed a brace like Clare.
    He only has it at night time so I feel that’s not a problem .
    My friend use to suck her two middle fingers and did way into her 20s that’s wrong lol.

10/11/2015 at 10:20 am