Follow:

Are you clued up on tyre safety this Winter?

MTOP_SNACKING_UK_DAD CHILD_M&R3

I have to admit that I’m rather panicking about travelling about in my car in the British weather this month. We’ve already had slippy, icy roads and if the recent forecast is anything to go by, we could be in for a white Christmas. Whilst I love the snow, I hate driving in it.

Most of my readers will know that in the Summer I had my first ever brand new car. I am rather precious about it. A car is much more than transport to me. It means I can take Little Mr to see our family, I can travel to work and back, and it is also my independence which I have taken for granted in the past but know now how important it is to me and should never be taken for granted.

Recent research from Mumsnet and Michelin shows the remarkable statistics that although all drivers should be responsible for tyre safety, a lot of us pass the buck for tyre safety to our other halves. I’ll admit, I’m one of them. I always leave the car stuff to hubby to deal with and actually I should be taking more responsibility and making sure my tyres and car are road worthy and fit for purpose.

Michelin infographic 27.11.14 v1

The research shows that although people know how important it is to get their tyres checked for the winter, that only 27% of them take responsibility for the tyres themselves leaving 73% of their partners to do it for them.

It is shocking to read that 62% are not confident or don’t know what the penalty is for running their cars on tyres beneath the legal minimum tyre depth. That’s a lot of people who don’t really know if their cars are safe to use. Similarly, only 37% check their tyre pressure twice a year. That’s a lot of miles to be covered on potentially dangerous tyres.

Michelin Total Performance want to help Moms and Dads with their winter tyre checks and have put together this fantastic video showing some of the myths behind winter driving. It is really interesting and has certainly made me think. So much in fact, that I’ll be getting my tyres checked this week to make sure that we are safe to use the car over the festive period.

Are your tyres safe for the winter roads? Have you bought winter tyres for the car or are you hoping we won’t get much of the white stuff? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Disclaimer: This is a post in conjunction with Michelin Tyres and Mumsnet. I have not been compensated for this post. 

Keep in touch | Bloglovin | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Google Plus

Share:
Previous Post Next Post

No Comments

I'd love to hear from you

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: