One wife’s guide to the Brazil World Cup 2014

08/06/2014

world cup

In just a few short days, you won’t be able to turn on the television or the radio without hearing about the FIFA Football World Cup. For those not in the know (or who just don’t really care), this year’s World Cup kicks off on Thursday 12th June and is being held in Brazil with 32 teams from across the globe including England, all competing for the glitzy and very prestigious FIFA World Cup Trophy and total bragging rights that they are indeed the best football team in the world!

Fortunately for me and my hubby Shilts, I have an interest in the World Cup (being a Baggies fan I like to watch decent football…ahem!) so will be watching a fair few of the games including my national team England. However, I know quite a lot of women out there will be losing their husbands, boyfriends and partners to the pub or the wide screen in the front room over the next four weeks and will be despairing at the thought of watching or hearing about another game of football. Don’t worry, you are not alone! If football fever doesn’t grip you at all, use the time to pamper yourself and enjoy the bloke free time. Alternatively, you could embrace it and get behind the lads, enjoy the trips down the pub or the trip to the supermarket to get the beers, ciders (and the Pinot Grigio) in.

What you need to know..

• The bookies favourites to win are Brazil or Argentina.
  • The games are being played in and around Brazil with a time difference to the UK of either three or four hours behind us (Brazil is actually an insanely huge country!)
  • England will be playing in Group D against three other teams; Italy, Uruguay and Costa Rica
  • England have only won the World Cup once, back in 1966 so of course, this could be our year!
  • The final of the World Cup will be held on Sunday 13th July at 8pm at Estádio Maracanã, Rio de Janeiro – best not to make ANY plans for that evening as it’s highly likely that every bar and club will be showing the game!
  • Offside – It’s a rule that everyone gets their knickers in a twist over but in general “a player is in an offside position if, when the ball is played by a team-mate, they are nearer to the opposition’s goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent” Source Easy eh?
  • David Beckham no longer plays for England but watch out for Gerard Pique and David Villa (both Spanish footballers) who are very easy on the eye!

England games lowdown

England games are due to be broadcast on both major television channels, ITV and BBC so luckily(!) no Sky subscription is required however the games are being played at quite odd times.

England v Italy – Saturday 14th June – KO 11pm (GMT)
It’s a late kick off so you can have a peaceful football free dinner and even get help with putting the kids to bed. If you’re not happy to watch the game, enjoy a lazy uninterrupted bath and an early night and starfish in bed.

England v Uruguay – Thursday 19th June – KO 8pm (GMT)
Slap bang in the middle of the little one’s bedtime… Sorry, hate to tell you this but you can probably expect to do this bedtime shift alone and if the kids are into the football too, you might have a battle on your hands!

England v Costa Rica – Tuesday 24th June – KO 5pm (GMT)
Last of the Group games; you could expect your man to watch in the pub then come home pissed or pissed off. I wouldn’t bother cooking dinner for him, he’ll very probably be having a few pints and a curry on the way home.

Don’t be alarmed if…

• Your man starts collecting Panini World Cup Player stickers and piles of swaps line up on the mantel piece
  • He starts to fill in a huge wall chart with the stats of every game played during the tournament
  • The national flag is hung patriotically outside your house
  • During a live game, he starts to come out with lines such as “I wouldn’t have played him there!” or “Are you blind ref?” Ron Manager styley!
  • Your bloke completely zones out and ignores everything you say when the match is in stoppage time or penalties are being taken
  • Upon his team scoring, he runs around the living room with his football shirt over his head shouting “GOOOOAAAALLLLL” with a mock Brazilian accent

This is all typically normal World Cup bloke behaviour and it’s probably best to just let him carry on with it all as IT IS just a phase but unfortunately he won’t grow out of it!

After seven years of marriage, two World Cups and three Euro championships, my advice as MrsShilts to any WAG out there is to just let him get on with it, ask important questions (shopping, money, childcare etc) after the game and whatever you do, don’t say “it’s just a silly game of football!”

Keep in touch | Bloglovin | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Google Plus

• Reply Keri-Anne 09/06/2014 at 12:15 pm

My husband is really excited about the world cup! I, on the other hand, am not but i am looking forward to some extra long baths whilst he watched the game!!! ;) x

• Reply Jen aka The Mad House 09/06/2014 at 12:18 pm

As a mum of two football mad boys, every part of my life is permeated about football and they are very excited

• Reply Kizzy 09/06/2014 at 12:38 pm

Great post, I love football too and we will turn into a World Cup house although i don’t think England stand much chance as usual!

• Reply You Baby Me Mummy 09/06/2014 at 2:59 pm

Great round up. I have no interest in football (well there was an interest when David Beckham used to play!). I will leave him to it and just blog without interruption :) x

• Reply Lisa Prince (@BEAUTY_IIAO) 09/06/2014 at 3:43 pm

my husband was never into football and its one of those things i was happy about when getting with him, unfortunatly his love has grown for it and i am now preparing for it lol x

• Reply Victoria 09/06/2014 at 3:44 pm

im dreading it as my husband making jokes about watching England on my due date, but im sure he wont miss the birth of our baby

• Reply LearnerMother 09/06/2014 at 4:31 pm

Ha! Might have to refer back to this guide to get brownie points throughout the tourney!
    ps what do you mean David Beckham doesn’t play for England any more?

• Reply Louisa 09/06/2014 at 6:16 pm

Luckily for me my husband doesn’t watch football. Sadly for me my youngest son has now got into it so I have a sneaking suspicion I may have to watch some football over the summer. *sobs*

• Reply Michelle 09/06/2014 at 7:10 pm

Fab post! My boys (hubs and son) will be watching a lot of the World Cup – I watch England play and that’s about it!!! x

• Reply Angela Spicer 09/06/2014 at 7:19 pm

Hubby isn’t really into his football. I suspect the England matches will be on TV though

• Reply Mummy of Two 09/06/2014 at 7:23 pm

It’s the opposite way around in our house! I am the one that is really looking forward to it whereas my OH isn’t that bothered (that could be because he is a bitter Scot!).

• Reply Hannah Staveley 09/06/2014 at 7:49 pm

One of the things I don’t like is football just don’t get it .x

• Reply Kirsty Hijacked By Twins 09/06/2014 at 8:00 pm

Great tips! I don’t mind watching the football and get quite into it. I also love watching Spain as I used to live there so follow both teams :-) x

• Reply Jenny 09/06/2014 at 8:35 pm

Thankfully we’re not a football family so I’m looking forward to going to all my favourite place and finding them half empty!

• Reply Jane @ northernmum 09/06/2014 at 10:28 pm

Thanks for the hints, my husband may talk to me now!

• Reply Adele @ Circus Queen 09/06/2014 at 10:40 pm

Haha! I’ll have to come back and refer to this when the time comes to shock my husband with new found enthusiasm. I didn’t even know the World Cup was on this summer til he told me a couple days ago – after he recovered from shock that I didn’t know!

• Reply Foz 09/06/2014 at 11:11 pm

I am not really into football…and thankfully neither us my hubby…don’t think I could cope if he was!

• Reply Zena's Suitcase 09/06/2014 at 11:14 pm

Now there’s a lady who knows her world cup! Great post!

• Reply VaiChin @Rambling Through Parenthood 10/06/2014 at 7:00 pm

Ha ha ha! This is really sound advice, especially the bit about it being just a silly game :-)

• Reply Cass@frugalfamily 10/06/2014 at 8:05 pm

We’re looking forward to it – I hope England do well. More because I love the way thr country gets behind them when they do well x x

• Reply Shell Louise 11/06/2014 at 12:39 am

I’m so happy that hubby isn’t the slightest bit interested in football!

• Reply agatapokutycka 11/06/2014 at 8:42 pm

I am lucky because Mark is not into football so much… so I should still have some use of him over the World Cup

• Reply Donna 12/06/2014 at 8:37 am

Hubby doesn’t ‘do’ sport and so neither do I! Our house is a sport free zone and I quite like it! x

• Reply Sarah Bailey 12/06/2014 at 11:59 am

Haha great post – I have to admit my other half isn’t into football so I think I get off lightly ;) x