Choosing our son’s name…

There’s been a lot of discussion over the last week after a very honest but possibly stupid (on her part) interview from Z-list celebrity Katie Hopkins on ITV’s This Morning. Katie told presenters Holly and Phil that she wouldn’t allow her children to play with other children who had names she didn’t like. She also revealed that children with certain names such as Tyler and Chantelle indicated which class they came from. The woman is a total snob and whilst everyone is rightly entitled to their own opinion about what they call their children, it’s her ‘I’m better than you’ persona that irritates me.

This got me thinking about what we have called our Little Mr and the reasons why we chose his name. As soon as we found out our little BabyShilts was a boy we ditched all our name choices for girls and got our thinking caps on to seriously think about boy names. I won’t lie. We found it quite tough. As hubby is a teacher he has taught thousands of children over the last ten years. Lots of different children from different backgrounds all with the most wonderful and in my opinion, crazy names i.e Robert Robertson, why would you? He’s taught so many children yet there are children with certain names that he has associated with different characters. I won’t offend anyone by naming names but we did discount some names on the basis of hubby knowing a naughty child with that name and I didn’t add some names to the list as I had associations with certain names from being at school or at work. Aren’t we all guilty of that though? We all have our own favourite names and surely it’s the parents decision alone in what they call their children. I’m sure we’ve all passed judgment on another childs name in the past but politely kept our thoughts to ourselves and I certainly wouldn’t stop my son playing with another child purely because I didn’t like his or her name.

I’m feeling a bit sorry for poor Kate and Wills, not only is Kate heavily pregnant during this particularly warm heat wave but she’s bound to be feeling the pressure from the media about the name of their unborn child. There’s going to be a lot of discussion about the name when Baby Royal arrives.

Back to BabyShilts, we had 3 names on our boys list in the end; Daniel, Ben and Olly. We had already chosen his middle name as ‘Thomas’ in dedication to my Great-Grandad who’s name was Thomas. My Dad was particularly proud to have the name back in the family and we might have even considered it for his first name but there’s already a Thomas in the family so we decided against it. We wanted to see what our little boy looked like before we made the life long decision to make sure it suited him. We weren’t particularly fussed about the meaning of his name. My name, Emma, apparently means whole or universal and hubby’s name, Greg means watchful. Hmmm I’m not convinced those meanings actually mean anything to us in reality. Olly word art

Upon delivery in theatre, our little BabyShilts was hoisted above the curtain and we got our first glimpse of our baby boy with a squished up face peering back at us. There wasn’t much argument from me when hubby said ‘we’ll call him Olly Thomas’ after seeing him, I loved the name and probably told hubby on a number of occasions that Olly was my preferred choice of name. I also might have even suggested we call our son Olly after listening to a certain singer on the radio singing his song ‘Trouble maker’ on the way to hospital to be monitored then later induced.

I love our sons name, to me it’s a name for a cheeky little chap full of character and that’s exactly what my son is.

• Reply Claire

I enjoyed reading your post .With 7 weeks to go until our second baby boy is due to be born we are struggling to come up with a boys name we both like.Our 2 year old boy is Sydney and we both loved that name .OH likes Rory but I knew a boy at school called this and he was very naughty as I remember so its put me off a bit .Time to get the thinking caps on :)

12/07/2013 at 4:50 pm
    • Reply mrsshilts

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy Claire, looking forward to hearing what your new little one will be called x

12/07/2013 at 4:53 pm
  • Reply victoria

I love the name Olly, a lot of people pull faces and then say ‘ooooh that’s different’ when we tell then our son is called Rio.

12/07/2013 at 7:18 pm
  • Reply Ericka Waller

A gorgeous name for a gorgeous boy. My husband said no to all my initial names for the children. He is very conventional, except for that day when he married me ;)
    Love your artwork

13/07/2013 at 7:37 am
  • Reply Emma Wright

I enjoyed reading this post as there are lots of similarities. I too am Emma. My little boy is Ben Thomas. I was angling to read the end to see if he was a Ben tom. But olly is such a lovely name too. X

13/07/2013 at 8:08 am
  • Reply Bex @ The Mummy Adventure

I love this post, we had 3 names until Dylan was born too but when he arrived there was no doubt which one was his name.

13/07/2013 at 8:37 am
  • Reply anna

That’s a lovely name :) I always like hearing about the names people chose and why!

13/07/2013 at 9:28 am
  • Reply Sarahmumof3

that Katie Hopkins is a right snob, names are a personal thing I think Olly is a lovely name :) x

13/07/2013 at 4:33 pm
  • Reply Holdingthebaby

A lovely post and a lovely name. I had a similar problem choosing a name for my baby girl as I am also a teacher. The nicest name can become a no no if a naughty child has it! As for that celeb you mentioned – she’s obviously an idiot as well as a snob!

13/07/2013 at 8:13 pm
  • Reply Jade Pirard

Aw what a lovelt post. We considered Olly when we named Ted but then he could be Ol’ McDonald….not great hehe.x

14/07/2013 at 10:54 am
  • Reply Verily Victoria Vocalises

My brother is called Oliver (Olly for short) and he is still cheeky despite the fact that hes 39 this year! A great name. I always knew Grace was going to be that from the outset :) Thanks for linking to PoCoLo xx

14/07/2013 at 10:25 pm
    • Reply mrsshilts

Grace was on our list for a girl and will remain on that list should we be lucky enough to have a sister for Olly. It was my Nan’s name so means a lot to me x

14/07/2013 at 10:45 pm
  • Reply Karen

Choosing a name is such hard work isn’t it!? I was sure that we were having a boy (we didn’t know for definite) so we were focused on a boys name and had one picked that we both liked pretty quickly. The girls name was more tricky and we couldn’t decide on one that we both liked until we were talking over lunch one day and I mentioned my Gran’s middle name. Hubby liked it although wanted it spelled slightly different and there was no arguing when I when we were told we were having a little girl, she was going to be called that. I think Olly’s name is lovely, beautiful name for a beautiful wee boy. Oh and that Katie woman is stupid and annoying! Especially when she has two children named that she gives off about!

30/07/2013 at 9:07 am