A couple of weeks ago I had the fabulous news that I had been selected, along with many of my favourite bloggers, to become a Morrisons Mum, in partnership with BritMums. I was given some vouchers to go and spend at my local store to buy our usual groceries and pick up some bits for a Bank Holiday treat. I decided to make us a steak and vegetable dinner with Summer Strawberry Pavlova for desert so took to the aisles to buy up the ingredients for our meal.
Morrisons have recently announced that they’re cutting prices on over a thousand of our favourite products with new every day low prices so that hopefully we’ll see a difference in the price of the weekly shop. I have to admit we don’t tend to shop at Morrisons, although it is our most local supermarket so I was keen to find out how cheap products were and whether this would affect the quality of the products on offer.
After an hour in the supermarket checking out the fresh fruit and veg, the various fresh cuts of meats and deciding what type of steak to but, I headed to the checkout armed with my vouchers and a trolley full of items.
I was impressed with the amount of meats on offer and asked a butcher for advice on which steak to buy. In the end I bought two pieces of rump steak as it was half price and would of cost over £7 each. We’re not regular steak eaters in our house so I didn’t really know what I was buying but was assured it was a good cut of meat.
Unfortunately both Little Mr and I came down with a sickness bug over the Bank Holiday weekend so we were unable to make or eat our steak meal. Aside from feeling very poorly, I was pretty disappointed I had a fridge full of fresh food we couldn’t stomach. Quite a bit of it kept very well and we managed steak sandwiches for dinner on Monday evening and enjoyed salads for lunch at work throughout the week.
I still wanted to make the pavlova as we had the ingredients in and I hadn’t made it before so was keen to give it a go. I’m delighted how it came out so here’s the recipe so you can make it at home and enjoy it for yourself.
Summer Strawberry Pavlova Recipe
Serves 6-8 people
Ingredients for meringue:
4 egg whites
250g caster sugar
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 teaspoon cornflour
Ingredients for topping:
Punnet of strawberries
2 tablespoons icing sugar
400ml double cream
– Preheat oven to Gas Mark 2
– Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks
– Gently whisk in the sugar
– Whisk in the vinegar, cornflour and vanilla essence
– Spread the meringue mixture in a circle formation on baking paper ensuring that the sides are higher than the middle
– Bake in the oven for 60 minutes
– After 60 minutes, turn off the oven but leave the meringue in the oven. Do not open the door!
– Once completely cooled, remove from oven and transfer to serving plate
– Wash and chop the strawberries
– Taking 1/4 of the strawberries, blend them in a food processor with 1 tablespoon of icing sugar until smooth
– Whip the cream with the remaining icing sugar and spread it over the meringue
– Add the remaining strawberries and pour over the strawberry sauce
Total: £8.48 for all goods
I’m afraid I’m not sure what the cost per serving would be but aside from the fresh ingredients (eggs, double cream and strawberries) we have plenty of the other ingredients left to make the pavlova again and chances are you probably would have quite a lot of the other ingredients in the cupboard.
I’m linking this post up with BritMums and the #MorrisonsMums campaign.
Disclaimer: I was given vouchers to spend at Morrisons for the purpose of this post. All words and images are my own.